Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Daily Production Planning Process

Hemal Shah
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi All,

I am new to Smartsheet. I need some assistance on exploring how it is possible to do what I need to do using Smartsheet.

Idea:

I want to implement a agile methodology like SCRUM and use smartsheet to manage the planning. On daily basis, people executing the work needs to select what they complete in next 24 hours which becomes their daily production plan. Then next day, those committed tasks will be reviewed for completions and non-completions. For the task not completed, I need to capture the root cause for non-completions on the committed tasks. Is it possible using smartsheet?

Comments

• Sure it is. I'm going to make this relatively high level response; let me know if I've skipped too many steps and you need some help filling in the gaps. 

1) Make a smartsheet that has at least the following columns:

• Developer (Dropdown) 
    • Epic/Feature/Related Group/Sprint (Dropdown)
    • End Date (Date)
    • Complete (Checkbox, %, or RYG, up to you)
    • And of course, the task name. (Primary Column)

2) Usage: 

1. Add items to the backlog. Tie tasks to Epics/Feature/Related Groups/Sprint with the use of the drop down (or plural, if you opted to make more).
    2. Developers will go to card view and have several ways to interface with the site, but one way or another they will filter to the Sprint you're working on. They'll then be able to drag "Uncategorized" cards to their column (Developer dropdown column). 
    3. Someone will need to manually assign the appropriate end date for all of the tasks at the end of the meeting (or by the end of the day). 
    4. There should exist automatic alerts that send *you* on "End Date" if  not complete. 
    5. The last step is basically starting over again, ala Brian Mcknight. However, now you'll need to capture root cause somewhere. This could be as a comment on the row, or a new column on the same sheet. I advise against "column" as the rows would likely expand significantly. Alternatively, it could be a new sheet that you can manually tie by adding an auto-incrementing column and referencing later or by linking cells. The best use case here depends completely on your use case, which wasn't fully explained regarding the "why" and the "who".

N.B. You can utilize update requests at the end of the day to request Devs to update their respective rows if they're not consistently going back to the sheet. 

This discussion has been closed.