Publishing vs. Sharing Forms -> Reports -> Dashboards

Hi!

I have a sheet the collects information through a form. So, a user submits a request through the form, it gets recorded in the sheet. One sheet holds all user requests.

I have a report created that filters the rows based on the current user (and the email in the original form). This report is then displayed in a dashboard.

Now, I learned that if I publish the report and the dashboard, the current user filter doesn't work.

Do I need to share the report and the dashboard with the user then? So when they go to the dashboard they have access to the report filtered by the current user? And they see only the rows they submitted?

If yes, is there a way to automatically share a report with someone rather than me manually adding them after they submit the form?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you use a Report Widget, you should be able to change the widget settings so that it is filtered by the Current User. This still will not work if the dashboard is published because published items do not require users to log in to view them (meaning there is nothing for the "current user" setting to filter on).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you use a Report Widget, you should be able to change the widget settings so that it is filtered by the Current User. This still will not work if the dashboard is published because published items do not require users to log in to view them (meaning there is nothing for the "current user" setting to filter on).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com