Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Summary Reporting from a Single Smartsheet

Options
Gladys Liley
Gladys Liley ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have a single sheet used to log test defects.  From this sheet I've created a summary section at the top for Open Items and Items by Status.  I need to create another summary "Item Status by Sprint versus Production".  I've tried Reports but this does not allow adding a summarization of the data (equivalent to an Excel Pivot).  I've tried to create a cell link but at this point I have 439 items and may reach limitations.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Gladys

Comments

• Hey Gladys -

If I'm understanding your request appropriately, you may be able to use Parent/Child row functionality to more conveniently summarize data, which can easily be used with nested CHILD formulas to summarize the data.

For example: if you use Parent rows to organize your data, and use Child rows (indented) to summarize the data, you could then create a formula for the summary using a formula such as =SUM(CHILDREN($Column$Cell#), CHILDREN($Column$Cell#)) etc.  This way you can keep the data together in the sheet itself, whereas the individual data summaries you need will be able to be conveniently used within a formula.

• Gladys Liley
    Gladys Liley ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Patrick!

:) my thinking was on track in that a Parent/Child row + cell linking would produce the needed "analytics" (e.g. 22 Fixed within sheet & cell linking for analytics: 22 Fixed by Category [10 Fixed for Category1, 5 Fixed for Category2 and 5 Fixed for Category3]).

I'm trying to keep the current format intact (430+rows of data) to help our Testers and Vendor with the updates.  Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

Gladys

This discussion has been closed.