"Copy Row" Automation workflow creates duplicates in final sheet

Sean Egan
Sean Egan
edited 01/17/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I have one sheet where we catalog all the estimates that we do. Each row is an estimate and there's a column that has the contractor for that job. I made a workflow where this sheet copies each row that is marked with a specific contractor and sends that copy to another sheet I made to catalog that specific contractor's estimates. It has been sending the rows over, but I just found a lot of the rows have been duplicated numerous times and I spent an hour clearing that up. How can I stop that from happening again? I've attached a screenshot of the workflow I'm talking about here.

Answers

• Sheryl P
    Sheryl P ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Sean Egan - Could you move the row? If you need the row in two sheets - perhaps there is a "collection" sheet that copies/moves to new sheets. It would be great if we could trigger a field update based on the start or finish of an automation. (checkbox said this row has been processed)

Could you use a condition (a date) and run only for a specified date range - therefore eliminating those that have been run before?

Just some quick thoughts

Sheryl

• Robert B
    Robert B ✭✭✭
    edited 01/17/22

@Sean Egan - Along the same lines as @Sheryl P recommends, and possibly not the most elegant way, but I accomplished this by adding a condition to check (If cell was checked) first prior to copying record. If not, 'checked', then copy record, then change the condition cell to 'checked' so it would not be copied again via the 1st conditional check.

Hope this helps.

-Robert

• Thanks guys! I made a checkbox column that automatically becomes checked when the row is shared, keeping it from being shared again. I think that should work. Thanks again!

• Genesia
    Genesia ✭✭

Can someone break this down for me, I have automations to check when a date is reached and to copy but how do i say dont copy that row anymore, but dont move it off of my main sheet as well

• Sheryl P
    Sheryl P ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robert B s example shows a workflow that updates a field so you know row has been processed. This should allow you to skip that row when you reach the date you want to copy the row. @Genesia - do you need more detail or does that get you heading in a direction you can play around with?

• Genesia
    Genesia ✭✭

@Sheryl P , I think i need more detail, so i understand Roberts way of, but my issue is i have a automation set up with checkboxes that when a date has been reached and it has populated the new due date put a checkmark and that was going fine with no issues, but my manager stated that she wants the original row to stay and copy that row , so in order for me to avoid duplicates what can i do because my checkbox is already check, so how can i say dont copy this row, since it has already been copied, but then my checkmarks are not being removed, because i dont have a formula for that. I hope im making sense.

I guess i now need to figure out, how do i say remove checkmark once row has been copied, and the next recurring date has populated. Because as long as that checkmark is there it will continue to copy/move that row.

• Sheryl P
    Sheryl P ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the issue you are describing @Genesia . It's been a couple days since your post - are you still looking for a solution?

• Genesia
    Genesia ✭✭

Yes I am still looking for a solution.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Genesia

What is the formula you're currently using for that checkbox? And what is the trigger for your Copy Row automation? I'm wondering if we could either add an IF statement to your checkbox cell or add in a Condition Block in your workflow to prevent duplicate rows from being copied, or to un-check the box.

• Genesia
    Genesia ✭✭

The formula I have for the checkbox is IF(Date@row<TODAY(-14),1,0). I would like a formula or something that would say that once this row has been copied don't copy it again I guess something in that realm.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Genesia

What I would suggest doing here is have your trigger be based on a Date/Time. (See: Create a Time-Based Automated Workflow)

Then you could have 2 Action Blocks in the same workflow: the first one Copies the Row and a second one records the Date in a new Date column to indicate that the Copy took place.

That way you can set up a Condition Block to say only copy the row IF the Date column is blank (meaning it was not copied earlier). Here's an example:

Cheers,

Genevieve