Smartsheet calendar with google calendar integration - customize text in body of description

Options

I've integrated a smartsheet calendar with google calendar, however anytime I make a change or save the smartsheet, it changes all existing events description to default text "this is a smartsheet, access the link here". Is there a way to remove any description text when creating a calendar even in smartsheet?

My workaround has been to manually edit the text in google once SS even has been added to the calendar, but anytime someone else makes an edit to the Smartsheet, it replaces the test with the default language.

It's confusing to people and they try to access smartsheet without a license, creating add license requests.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Xenia Tulupova

There currently isn't a way to configure the default text description that appears in Google calendar when you update a task or create a new task; you will need to manually change it after the event has been added, as you're already doing.

Please let the Product team know how this feature is impacting your process by filling in this form, here!

Thank you,

Genevieve

• Xenia Tulupova
    Options

But even existing tasks will update and go back to the default text, even if nothing changed on that particular line. Is there a way to prevent default text from re-appearing when a sheet is saved with other events?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Xenia Tulupova

If nothing was updated on that specific row, then the task in your Google calendar should not update either so your custom text should still appear.

Is it possible that there's something in your sheet which is pushing an update to all rows, when then update your Google calendar? For example, do you have any formulas that have calculations on each row?

I would suggest adding in a Modified Date System column to your sheet; this will show you the date and time that Smartsheet sees the row as being Modified (which would then update your calendar).

• Xenia Tulupova
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

That's where I'm a little concerned - I do not have anything pushing an update to all rows in my sheet, there are no formulas, it's a very basic task list (or more accurately, events list).

The sheet is only editable by me and another licensed user, so anytime they add an event of theirs to the sheet (not touching any of my rows), and hit save, it reflects the default text on all my existing rows/events in google. So any manually added information that I've included on the google side, that is specific to that event, gets removed and updated with default "access smartsheet to edit" text.

Sounds like this is a feature bug or defect? Can someone take a look at the backend and help resolve?

It's very impactful to our day to day, as new events/rows get added, it erases all relevant information on existing events.

• Genevieve P.
    edited 02/11/22
    Options

Hi @Xenia Tulupova

I've tested on my own account, and even if I make an update to the same row, as long as it's not updating the Date or the Task Name (primary column) then my custom text will still be visible in Google Calendar.

It does sound like there's an issue happening with your specific sheet that is causing Google to see all of your rows as either being new rows or updating the date/name. I would suggest checking the Cell History of the Date column you're using as well as the primary column to see if any changes are being recorded there (it will also tell you who/what made the change).

If there are no changes recorded in that row, yet the row is still updating in Google, please contact the Support team with a screen recording of the unexpected behaviour you're seeing and the sheet URL that's affected. They'll be able to troubleshoot this with you via a private channel where you can share this information.

Thanks,

Genevieve

• Xenia Tulupova
    Options

I have contacted the support team several days ago and they have not gotten back to me yet. Please help escalate.

I can assure you there is nothing changing on existing rows, yet the custom text gets replaced anytime a new row is added.

• arcu
    Options

Good afternoon,

Is customizing the body of the invite an available option now? I want to share my integrated calendar org-wide (+500 staff members) but need to share the details in the body of the invite, which are available on the SS calendar view. At the very least, I want to remove the link since it prompts you to create an account.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @arcu

There has not been an update in this functionality. Please submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community.

Cheers,

Genevieve