Setting Formula using RYG

Options

Hi! I'm trying to set up a formula using the Red, Yellow, Green symbols but I'm having difficulty doing so with how we use it. So basically, we have multiple columns we use to grade our employees in a QA setting so example Red=No, Yellow=Somewhat, Green=Yes. I am not even sure if this is possible. Any input advice how to go about this?

Answers

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @kdenault ,

Can you please elaborate on what criteria you're looking for for each color? For example:

• If Column A = 100, show Blue
    • If Column A>=0 and Start Date is after today, show green
    • If Column A>0 and Column B is marked In Progress and End Date is after today, show green
    • If Column A>0 and End Date is before today, show yellow
    • If Column A = 0 and End Date is before today, show Red

Having the criteria mapped out will help create the formula.

• kdenault
    Options

I don't think there is a way I can do for how we use it - For instance, when we internally listen to calls our employees get graded on how they did on said call. So, we have multiple columns in one row using the RYG symbols. Example: One of our columns is following our internal script. Green means yes, yellow means somewhat, red means no.

We are just trying to find a way to not only visually see it but graph it as well just based on how many times a CSR has red, yellow green for the different columns we grade them on.

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@kdenault ,

Oh! That is completely different from what I was aimed at. My apologies for misunderstanding.

So are you wanting to pull, for each CSR, the number of red, green, and yellow they have received for a specific column?

Also - are you putting this data in a separate sheet?

• kdenault
    Options

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to accomplish but it seems it can't read just the symbols without some type of value to that symbol.

Currently, not putting into another sheet as of yet but that is the end goal.

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@kdenault The "values" are listed as the color, capitalized. So if I were looking to count the number of times Heather received Yellow in the Script column, I would do this:

=COUNTIFS([Staff name]:[Staff name],"Heather", [Script column]:[Script column], "Yellow")

Of course, you would change the bracketed column names to match your column names. If you end up doing a separate sheet, you'll need to do a cross-sheet reference, which would change the [column]:[column] to a {named range for that column}.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!