Can an approval wf be setup so that the same person cannot approve multiple levels

We have a list of approvers that is the same in multiple approval processes within one sheet. I am trying to see if there is a way to restrict the approval so that if I approve one level, I cannot also approve the next level.

Is there a way to do that?

Answers

• Hi @Amber Peck

How are you selecting the Approvers for each stage, are these separate Approval columns?

We could set up a Flag symbol column to raise a red flag (and trigger either alerts or Conditional Formatting) when the same contact is selected more than once in the same row.

For example:

=IF(OR(AND([Approver 1]@row = [Approver 2]@row, [Approver 1]@row <> "", [Approver 2]@row <> ""), AND([Approver 1]@row = [Approver 3]@row, [Approver 1]@row <> "", [Approver 3]@row <> ""), AND([Approver 2]@row = [Approver 3]@row, [Approver 3]@row <> "", [Approver 2]@row <> "")), 1, 0)

Would something like this work for you?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Our auditors would like for it to be a hard stop instead of a flag.

Also, most of the time approver 1 and approver 2 would / could be the same person, however approver 2 and approver 3 can't be the same person. Does that make sense?

• Hi @Amber Peck

There currently isn't a way to limit dropdown options based on a previous selection in a different column.

How many approvers do you have, and are there any combinations that won't appear together?

The reason I ask is, what about having 1 multi-select Contact column for both Approver 1 and Approver 2? You can only select a contact once in the same column. However then in your Workflow you would need to have Conditions blocks to split up the 2nd approver and 3rd.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now