Workaround to Work Item in User's Timesheet

Options
ltwombly
ltwombly ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have a Smartsheet with multiple tasks that I've linked to Resource Management. I've assigned resources to these tasks, and see them properly in my Schedule in Resource Management. I understand that currently there's no way to automatically add the work item to a user's timesheet, and I've submitted this as an enhancement idea. My question is...what's the most efficient workaround to this? I don't really want to ask users to manually enter a note with the task they performed (because they'll forget to do so); I can't move the linked work items to phases, because it breaks the link to Smartsheet; and the tasks aren't consistent, so I can't use Categories. Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ltwombly

Thank you for expanding and for posting these screen captures, this definitely helps! I understand that you're looking to have the Time Tracking surface the Primary Column row value instead of the bigger grouping of the Sheet/Project name.

Since this functionality isn't possible at the moment, you are correct that the current workaround would be to ask your users to add a note. Thank you, also, for providing your feedback and enhancement request to the Product team.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @ltwombly

I have to admit I'm not quite sure what it is you're looking to do; any assignment for a user will appear on the time tracker, and the task description from the Smartsheet sheet should sync to Resource Management.

It would help to know a bit more about your process and details on your expected outcome, including screen captures (but please block out sensitive data).

Thanks!

Genevieve

• ltwombly
    Options

Thanks Genevieve,

I've started with an existing Smartsheet named "Example Project", which has individual tasks with users, start / end dates, and allocation assigned. I've linked this Smartsheet to Resource Management, and when I view the project in the Projects page, I see the populated details, including the individual assigned tasks (see Screenshot #2). So far so good. When I go to my time tracking for the week though, I only see the option to charge time to Example Project, rather than Task 1 under Example Project (see Screenshot #1). When users access their time tracking, I'd like for them to see that they're charging time to Task 1 vs just Example Project (because they'll have multiple overlapping tasks within Example Project). Is this a bug within time tracking, or do you have any suggestions how to be able to see the tasks in a user's time tracking from a linked Smartsheet?

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ltwombly

Thank you for expanding and for posting these screen captures, this definitely helps! I understand that you're looking to have the Time Tracking surface the Primary Column row value instead of the bigger grouping of the Sheet/Project name.

Since this functionality isn't possible at the moment, you are correct that the current workaround would be to ask your users to add a note. Thank you, also, for providing your feedback and enhancement request to the Product team.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• ShawnSCAD
    Options

It's been 2 years since this enhancement was requested. Is there any feedback on where this request is in the development roadmap?

I think it is a major shortcoming that one cannot bill time to work items, but only to projects and phases.