Report / workflow / landing page?

Hello,

I am trying to build a 'simple to use landing page' of some sort for people leaders, as we are asking them to update the status of their team members.

I am envisaging they just type in their own name, will then get the list of their direct reports where they can check the status of each person and update it in a further field.

I have the raw data with the details I need, I just don´t know what report or then dashboard to build. The dataset is very large and I don´t want the managers to have to go into the raw data and filter there.

This would be the raw data:

Thank you very much!

Best Answer

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@A_B If your managers are logged in (which they probably should be for access control) and if the manager name column is a contact list column type, you should be able to build a report that filters by "Current User" against the manager name column. The dark side of that approach is that these folks still need access to the base sheet, the raw data as you put it.

Any chance you have access to the add-on tool called DynamicView? That solves for this situation quite nicely.

Another approach altogether is to create a "Moves, Adds, Changes" sheet with a form. Give managers access to the form and tell them to log any changes to their staff locations.

Dale

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@A_B If your managers are logged in (which they probably should be for access control) and if the manager name column is a contact list column type, you should be able to build a report that filters by "Current User" against the manager name column. The dark side of that approach is that these folks still need access to the base sheet, the raw data as you put it.

Any chance you have access to the add-on tool called DynamicView? That solves for this situation quite nicely.

Another approach altogether is to create a "Moves, Adds, Changes" sheet with a form. Give managers access to the form and tell them to log any changes to their staff locations.

Dale

• Thank you very much! We don´t have DynamicView, which I will ask for though :)

I best like the form approach, but may have to come back with more questions!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @A_B

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Dale's excellent advice/answer.

Another option could be the Premium App, WorkApps (if you have the Enterprise plan or higher).

Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hello and apologies for the late reply!! I checked out WorkApps as an option and need to read up on it a little bit more. So much to explore with Smartsheet! Thank you very much and have a great day!