How do I setup an Approval Workflow automation where the approvers can vary?

Robert Bennett
edited 03/10/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I am trying to design an automated approval workflow where there could be anywhere from two to five approvals needed. The five individuals are constant, except where certain invoices might only need approval from Manager A and Manager E, others might need B, C, D, and E.

I have setup checkboxes for each manager and a column for their responses in the hopes that the approvers could be selected and once the invoice status changes to submitted, the approval requests would only be sent to those managers selected.

Manager E is always given final approval for each invoice.

Below is an example of what I'd like it to look like, but I'm pragmatic. I just want something that will work.

Additional note: Every approval request will include multiple attachments (i.e. a packing slip and an invoice).

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Robert Bennett

The way I would do this is to set up 4 separate automated Approval Requests. Each of the Approval Requests would be Triggered when the Checkbox is checked for Approver E (knowing that this person is always asked for Approval).

Then in each workflow add a Condition to see if another column is checked, for example, Column A. If it is, send out the Approval Request to Column A's person (and not E, or any of the others).

Have a second workflow set up the exact same way - triggered by when Column E is checked, with a Condition Block, but then this time look for if Column B is checked, and if it is, send to Column B's person instead.

One thing to keep in mind when you set these up is to make sure you record each Approval in its own column, like the green checkmarks you have.

Ex:

The reason you'll want these to be 5 separate workflows instead of building condition paths is because if you set multiple condition blocks on the same level in the workflow (moving laterally), then the workflow will only pick one path to go down. You'll need your automations to check each individual column to see if that specific approver should Approve this row, regardless of the other checkboxes in the other columns. Does that make sense?

See: Condition Blocks: Filter What Your Automated Workflows Send and Request approvals from stakeholders

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Robert Bennett

The way I would do this is to set up 4 separate automated Approval Requests. Each of the Approval Requests would be Triggered when the Checkbox is checked for Approver E (knowing that this person is always asked for Approval).

Then in each workflow add a Condition to see if another column is checked, for example, Column A. If it is, send out the Approval Request to Column A's person (and not E, or any of the others).

Have a second workflow set up the exact same way - triggered by when Column E is checked, with a Condition Block, but then this time look for if Column B is checked, and if it is, send to Column B's person instead.

One thing to keep in mind when you set these up is to make sure you record each Approval in its own column, like the green checkmarks you have.

Ex:

The reason you'll want these to be 5 separate workflows instead of building condition paths is because if you set multiple condition blocks on the same level in the workflow (moving laterally), then the workflow will only pick one path to go down. You'll need your automations to check each individual column to see if that specific approver should Approve this row, regardless of the other checkboxes in the other columns. Does that make sense?

See: Condition Blocks: Filter What Your Automated Workflows Send and Request approvals from stakeholders

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now