Other calendar integrations besides the premium Calendar App?

Options
Tim Starkey
Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

We are looking for calendar options that would allow us to view a couple (five at the most) of reports in a calendar view that (1) shows more than the primary column and (2) can be formatted by color, larger font, etc.

We looked at the premium calendar app from SS, but we can't justify the cost for this simple use case. The app looks awesome, but more than we need. Its a couple of simple calendar views, not hundreds of complex ones.

Google Calendar sync, and iCal only work in individual sheets, not from reports.

We cannot change the primary columns as has been mentioned in other threads to "join" fields such as task + assigned + other useful information.

Reason One we can't do this is that we have thousands of sheets based on a traditional Gantt style format for design/construction related activities. Yes, I could modify our template, then use Control Center and publish the updates across our platform, and hopefully not break anything. But then I have this new 'clunky' primary column in ALL my sheets, that is really only useful for a couple of calendars and doesn't work for all our existing reports.

Reason Two, assuming I did the above, now all my existing reports would pull from this primary column... which I need to have since the reports use grouping, and grouping requires the primary column, and it also requires it to be the first column, and I can't hide it, or the grouping is hidden. So now I have a first task that says Task + Person + Info, then right after it, columns that say task, person, info... which I need so I can actually edit fields in a report.

I gave the backstory, hoping to give you insight into what I am looking for. Simple calendar view that shows tasks, assigned, and maybe something else on the bar. Frankly, I don't even need to be able to edit the calendar view. Its just for team meetings. Something affordable, since its only a couple of calendars.

Thanks!

Tim

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Tim Starkey We use the Calendar app, albeit on a limited basis within our Marketing area. It is very cool. It is a bit surprising that you have thousands of sheets and have paid for Control Center but only have one use case for a better Calendar application. I think you would be surprised at how short the payback would be for Calendar, considering the energy you are spending on the subject!

Maybe you need to check through the organization to see if anyone else wants to partner with you?

dm

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Dale Murphy. I don't doubt that it a great app. We are still in the infancy of adopting Smartsheet, and I am for better or worse heading up that implementation. Yes, I am devoting a lot of energy to it, but at the same time, I have to balance that with what will provide a good ROI. Maybe we will be at a point to consider the app in a few years, but not worth the cost at the moment.

Thanks for the positive feedback though. Will keep it in mind.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Tim Starkey

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Have you explored using the standard Calendar and combining multiple columns to one to show more information?
    • Another option could be to connect Smartsheet to a 3rd-party service like Zapier and connect it to a Calendar app.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Andrée Starå

I don't think combining columns will work for me. The reason is, as I understand it, the information would need to be combined in the Primary column for it to show up in the default calendar view. Setting aside publishing this change across all our sheets, we would then be left with reports that were less than ideal, since grouping is based off the primary column. We now have a first column in our reports that is duplicating other information. (see reason two in my first post). Maybe someone has another way at looking at this. I am open.

So, yes, I am probably down to Zapier or some type of integration. That was what I was hoping to get some input on... a good secondary task app with a good calendar that allows me to display more than one field.

Thanks!

Tim

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you open to using Gantt view as opposed to Calendar view?

The reason I ask is because in Gantt view you can select which column is used as the label. This means the you can set up (and hide) another column that joins the information together and use this even though it is not the Primary Column.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Paul Newcome

That will probably be what we end up doing. I think the Gantt view overwhelms people not familiar with it. This is intended to be used for staff meetings... overview of who is doing what/when, and seeing major deadlines on a calendar.

Thanks!

Tim

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Tim Starkey

Happy to help!

Yes, you're correct that it would have to collect in the Primary Column, which could be a pain for the rest of your structure.

I agree with Paul that Gantt probably is the best option in Smartsheet except for the Calendar App, but otherwise, I'd recommend exploring Zapier and connecting to a nice-looking calendar.

Let me know what you end up doing and If you find an excellent 3rd-party calendar option.

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes. Gantt view can be a bit of a pain if you aren't used to looking at it.

The only other option I can think of is to create a second sheet and use cross sheet references to populate the important data essentially replicating the first sheet. There you can combine the columns into the Primary Column, switch it over to Calendar View and the provide that link to anyone wanting to look at the calendar. You could place the link into a Sheet Summary Field on the first sheet and just instruct users that if they want to see the calendar version to go there.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Paul Newcome

I will look into it. I am actually pulling from multiple sheets (around 300), so setting up the cross linking may be beyond me.

I was hoping to find a simple third party calendar app that would do the work. Its not sounding promising for anything else, other than the premium Calendar app.

Thanks!

Tim