Filter by Hierarchy

Options

I have a Smartsheet organised by hierarchy, I want users to be able to enter data but only to be able to see their own group (represented as top level hierarchy), my understanding is the correct way to do this is to create a report.

But how can I filter the report so it shows a named top level hierarchy and all the children and nothing else?

I'm trying to avoid creating a new column if possible for only filtering.

Many thanks.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/24/22
    Options

Hi @trevrobwhite

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• trevrobwhite
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå

Many thanks for the reply, I cannot share the actual data but I made a mock-up below.

This would be the master sheet. Team A needs to enter their monthly metrics and others need to view this teams metrics, but they are not allowed to see the metrics from team B or C.

The board however needs a different view.

So I was hoping to create a report that referenced this sheet and filtered for "Team A" I could send this to that team, they could fill in the data which would populate the master sheet and they they could see their own metrics without seeing everything.

Team A would need to be able to see all the child data, which in the future might change/expand.

I did think of creating another column just for filtering in the report but it seemed wasteful if there was a better way.

Many thanks.