Smartsheet Automated Emails changing custom subject line

Good Morning,

I've have several workflows setup to send out emails that are triggered by dates. I'm using the Alert someone and I have setup specific subject lines in each out these, based on the time frame of a requested completed date.

This morning, I received a "Reminder: Smartsheet Name" email that was sent to all who were required based on the logic used but it summarized two lines instead of the individual emails it should have sent.

Subject line should have read: "Follow up/Escalation for Inquiry#: {{Inquiry #}} Price Implementation Inquiry - {{Customer Level Name}} - {{Inquiry Type}}"

Has anyone run into this before and what did you do to correct it?

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Katy H
    Katy H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hope I am understanding you correctly, but if the trigger for your automation is date based, example: send out an automated email every morning at 9 AM, then there is the possibility of more than one line of data getting swept into that automation based on the conditions you have chosen. If you want it to only ever be one line of data the trigger would need to be a change rather than a date.

Katy Hall

Head of Product Management

ILLA Canna

LinkedIn

• Thanks for the response Katy H. That is correct, it is triggered based upon a requested by date. I have an automation to send out on that date it is reached at 7:00am.

Based on your comment and what I'm seeing. It is grouping them together when it is the same "contact" and same date trigger.

Which, ultimately is not a bad thing, but by grouping together, it is changing the subject line of the email and that is the issue.

• Katy H
    Katy H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Totally, unfortunately, dynamic fields in automations only work when one single line of data is being sent. This article details the limitations of working with dynamic fields in automations:

Katy Hall

Head of Product Management

ILLA Canna

LinkedIn

• PDunn
    PDunn ✭✭✭✭✭

@Katy Hall@CH2 Katy is referring to when you add a field {{field}} in your subject line. If more than one row meets the criteria it won't list multiple {{Inquiry #}} into your subject line so it changes it to say Reminder. If you remove {{Inquiry #}} from your subject line then your original subject line would appear in the email regardless if there is more than one row that is being affected. Suggestion: change your Subject Line to: Follow up/Escalation for Inquiry - see more details

I've been removing {{Fields}} from my automation notification subject lines to more generic wording. I am then adding the additional fields in the message portion where you select various fields to include in message.