Automatically move rows within a single sheet

I pulled a template for a Team Productivity Hub (https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=f29e0f2c058f4563853d6497ce554bcc) from the solution center and the sheet for tasks had originally moved completed tasks to the "completed" hierarchy automatically, but now that i've made copies for my team and input some formulas for health of rows, it no longer works.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Essentially, I want the task when updated to "complete" in the status column, to move into the Completed hierarchy as a child row automatically. this way my report will auto update and the team won't have to manually move the rows.

Here's a screenshot showing a completed task not moved:

But this task was moved automatically when I updated the sheet before I made major changes:

Any help is appreciated!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Karina

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now to move rows automatically in a sheet, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Use a Report with Grouping, and it would "move" to the other group.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Karina
    Karina
    edited 05/16/22

Thank you @Andrée Starå . I was afraid that was the answer. We're really looking to use automations to make the work easier for my team and eliminate human error/streamline reporting.

Thank you for the info about grouping! My current report has several sheets feeding into one report and I have it grouped by the sheet name to keep it organized. If I try and sort by status then I lose the parent rows in the report: [see screenshots]

Current view:

View if adding second grouping:

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the parent rows in line with the tasks for easy view.

I submitted the request for the automation of moving rows within a single sheet, so thanks for that as well.

• I ran into the same need for automation, in the same template as a matter of fact. Found myself recommending to the client they either move completed content to a dedicated sheet or use a filter to simplify moving them manually.

A little disappointing to realize the automation hasn't made it this far, until I realized the automation had been only moving rows to the bottom of sheets. Any solution that does what we're looking for here would probably need a way to ask the user where in the sheet the content would need to go in order to be a useful feature, and I can only imagine what that would need to look like.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Came here looking for a solution to a similar issue. I am assuming that the original template worked as by moving the completed task to a helper sheet, which moved it back into the original sheet via automation, which put it at the bottom of the list. I was hoping to see something that moved it to a specific location, but that would require user direction as @Zebra Josh mentioned.

I was thinking along the lines of the automation asking for the target row location by asking for the parents name. Would require unique parent names. My actual goal was to find a way for general staff to add a quick tasks to a project sheet via a form, then have it sorted into the appropriate section based on submitter (lookup submitters dept in another sheet, move it to that teams section for example) I'm guessing there would need to be some level of formula used the automation, which isn't currently possible.

• Has this been added as an enhancement request?