Include child rows in approval request

Options

Hi all,

I'm hoping that you can help me find an easy solution to an issue I'm facing. I publish two monthly newsletters (External and Internal editions in the screenshot below) and the first step of my prep work is to have my manager approve my proposed lineup for each edition. I'd like to send an approval request or notification to my manager when the Status column of the Lineup Review row says "send for approval"; that approval request or notification should include not just the Lineup Review row but all of its children as well. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tiffany

Best Answer

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Tiffany McKerahan

How about dragging the "Send for approval" down across the rows you want your manager notified about? Like so:

The email notification would look like this:

You could of course narrow down the columns which are included in the email but for the purpose of this example I just told the automation to include all rows and columns. Here's the automation setup:

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Tiffany McKerahan

How about dragging the "Send for approval" down across the rows you want your manager notified about? Like so:

The email notification would look like this:

You could of course narrow down the columns which are included in the email but for the purpose of this example I just told the automation to include all rows and columns. Here's the automation setup:

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Tiffany McKerahan

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Mike's excellent advice/answer.

Another option could be to use the PARENT function in all the rows you want to include except the Lineup review one, and then when you change the Lineup review to Send for approval, it would auto-populate the other rows.

Something like this.

=PARENT()

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Tiffany McKerahan
    Options

@Mike TV thanks, that's perfect! I had just assumed that doing so would send a separate email for each row (and drive my boss crazy) but I didn't actually test that theory. Thank you!