Child Cell Formatting

I would like for child cells to automatically appear for each new row, and then have an index/match formula be able to populate a column in the parent row from those child rows.

For example: New air freight request- 5 child rows with default values of the 5 carriers pop up (can't do a dropdown, I need to track the 5 carriers data over time), and then when I enter the quote numbers from each carrier and pick a carrier, it auto-populates the quote amount into the parent row.

I'm not sure if this is a functionality of Smartsheet. I would prefer to not have to manually create the rows and type them out each time, but I can if necessary.

Answers

• Hi @MMahaffey

There currently isn't a way to automate creating child rows in Smartsheet, hierarchy is a manual action. (Please submit your feedback to the Product team through this form).

You can Copy Rows to keep hierarchy, either manually or through an automation. See: Copy and paste hierarchy 

However the formula in the Parent row is something you can automate, using the CHILDREN function. I would put this in a helper column and make it a Column Formula:

=IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Primary Column]@row)) > 0, "", SUM(CHILDREN([Quote Amount]@row)))

This will return a blank cell for any children, but if this is a parent row, SUM together the values of that parent's children in the Quote Amount column.

Let me know if this makes sense and will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!