Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Conditional formatting for Reports

Options
Peggy Parchert
Peggy Parchert ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The ability to apply conditional formatting rules from within a report would be huge. Having to modify the Source sheet for a specific report doesn't seem to be very efficient.

352 votes

On Roadmap · Last Updated

Comments

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Thank you for your idea! While we can't provide a specific timeline at this time, this is part of our strategy for providing a consistent experience and set of controls (including conditional formatting) across sheets and reports.

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Very encouraging to see this made it from Idea Submitted > On Radar > On Roadmap.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

On Roadmap 🤩

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @Ronny Dorian as well…

I am so frustrated 😤 with the lack of tools some of us at higher level reporting requires.

For example, in a perfect world, before you launch Smartsheets to your team to use, you would have protocols in place so that everyone enters data using standard formats (left aligned for text columns, middle aligned for date / symbol columns, etc…). Right now I have over 150 people entering data into 68 different sheets (most of those are identical sheet templates, just different project names) which then gets pulled into 30+ reports for 20 different executive level reporting needs. Out of those 68 sheets, I have half of them entered correctly (alignment, font colors, sizes etc…) and the other half randomly all over the place (all columns require data to be entered, so locking columns is forbidden in some of these). When I pull reports, there is NO WAY to quickly clean up all that madness, so our reports look like we lack the ability to have standards (very embarrassing to be honest). Since I am in charge of everything Smartsheets related (creating accounts, training, setting up tracking logs, reports, dashboards and doing all the in-house formulas) for over 200 employees accessing the live sheets, it makes it very hard to go back to sheets and clean them up when I know its just going to keep happening. This also includes having to use 3rd party software in the browser to do spell checking (using LanguageTool).

So I would love to be able to change the Font settings / properties (left, middle, right, low, mid, high, bold, underline, italic) within each column so that at least my reports can look universal regardless what the other main sheets look like. If it could talk back to its main sheet and change it there, even better, but to simplify the Software program's internal process, I would be ecstatic if we can just have the ability to change those few settings in any report pulled. 🤯

Julie Becker ☠️

Construction Project Engineer / Coordinator & Software Program Oversight Mgr. 😉

Successful People Are Not Gifted; They Just Work Hard, Then Succeed On Purpose‼️

• Chizu Hieida
    Chizu Hieida ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I love this idea. I also would like it if this includes turning off source sheet Conditional formatting in the report just like Dashboard Report Widget. Sometimes we just want clean look report in some cases... so to be able to control Conditional formatting in the Report is a + ! 😍

• Stefanie Rubin
    Options

I agree as well. The Engage webinar on building reports and dashboards talked about the power of being able to pull lots of different sheets into a report and do higher level reporting. Conditional formatting is critical for this. I also 1000% agree with comments left by Julie and Ronny. When we pull multiple sheets into a consoldiated report, our focus should be on ensuring its content serves our executives - not cleaning up formatting in the base sheets.

• Michelle Choate 2
    Michelle Choate 2 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Especially when you have multiple sheets!!

• swilly
    swilly ✭✭
    Options

This is still an issue years later, any updates?

• swilly
    swilly ✭✭
    Options

NEED CONIDITONAL FORMATTING ON REPORTS!!!!

Having to open each source sheet to have the conditional formatting reload is not efficient.

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/22/24
    Options

@Andrée Starå -----> Your approaching that 1yr statement "On Roadmap".... Should we just start to assume "On Roadmap" = "Road To Nowhere"? 🤥🤷

Not to be rude / mean, but every time we see that typical cookie cutter response from the Smartsheet Staff, we as users, are at the point of "I will believe it when i see it" 🤥, as your credibility to furnish the products / enhancements over the years has been sadly nonexistent.

I believe if you guys want to provide us with updates on anything that is labeled as "On Roadmap", then provide the ETA with that, otherwise it's just false pretenses and no longer credible in our community. 🤔

Again, not trying to be mean or rude, just being honest (exhausted from excuses).... 🙄

Julie Becker ☠️

Successful People Are Not Gifted; They Just Work Hard, Then Succeed On Purpose‼️

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Candidly, @Julie Becker , I share your concern that numerous desperately- and long-awaited fixes seem to fall into the ether.

• swilly
    swilly ✭✭
    Options

Having to open each source sheet to have the conditional formatting update is not efficient.

The refresh on reports and dashboards do not update the conditional formatting for each row.

Every single sheet must be opened every day for them to display the correct colors (ex: 3 days away - blue, 1 day away - purple).

I log on and something "3 days overdue - red" is still showing "3 days away - blue", when I click the source sheet it quickly shows the wrong color then updates to the new color.

When I go back to the report, the row displays correctly - in this example it would show 3 days overdue - red color (rather than the incorrect: 3 days away - blue color, that had be displayed on the report before opened that single source sheet).

NEED A WAY TO APPLY CONIDITONAL FORMATTING TO REPORTS

or

NEED A WAY TO REFRESH ALL SOURCE SHEETS AT ONCE (so the reports and dashboards will have truly updated information from source sheets without having to manually open each one)

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. / @Andrée Starå - We are coming up on the 1yr mark soon when this was stated as "ON ROADMAP", yet as of today, there is no update or progress that many of us who have voted/responded in this forum can rely on.

Can you please provide an ETA on this request before many of us lose faith and credibility in anything the Smartsheets staff claims for the Enhancements Section of your community?

Julie Becker ☠️