Is there a way to populate the current month-year into a cell in Smartsheet?

Iastate7653
edited 06/21/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I am looking to populate a cell with the current month-year (i.e. June-2022) and can't seem to find the command to populate that.

Any help would be welcomed!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Iastate7653

I hope you're well and safe!

Try something like this.

=YEAR(TODAY())

=MONTH(TODAY())

To convert the month from a number to a month name.

=IF(Month@row <> "", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 1, "01 January", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 2, "02 February", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 3, "03 March", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 4, "04 April", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 5, "05 May", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 6, "06 June", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 7, "07 July", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 8, "08 August", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 9, "09 September", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 10, " 10 October", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 11, "11 November", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 12, "12 December")

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Is there a way to populate the month and year only together? I can get them to populate separately but is there a way to combine the 2 commands into one?

• I think I got it with a simple + in between. Thanks for your help!!!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Iastate7653

Yes, there is.

Try something like this. (Column name is named Month in my example)

=IF(Month@row <> "", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 1, "01 January", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 2, "02 February", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 3, "03 March", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 4, "04 April", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 5, "05 May", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 6, "06 June", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 7, "07 July", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 8, "08 August", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 9, "09 September", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 10, " 10 October", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 11, "11 November", IF(MONTH(Month@row) = 12, "12 December")))))))))))) + " - " + YEAR(Month@row))

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I have a follow up to this. What I am trying to do is populate "Meeting Date 1" by using a VLOOKUP to see what the current month is. I used the Month column to populate the current Month-Year and using that field "Month2" for the VLOOKUP.

I would like to see "Meeting Date 1" populated with 6/28/2022 based on "Month 2" showing June-2022 and the VLOOKUP seeing that 6/28/22 is the "Date" associated with "Leader/Contacts" for June-2022. Then if July this would dynamically adjust to 7/26/22 in the "Meeting Date" and so on.

Right now with the screen shot attached I get "#No Match"

• Hi @Iastate7653

The No Match error indicates that your vlookup can't find the matching cell in your Leader/Contacts column. To test, can you try using a COUNTIF to see if you get a count of 1 or 0?

=COUNTIF([Leader / Contacts]:[Leader / Contacts], Month2)

If you're getting 0, it means that there's something slightly different between the output of your formula and the value in your other column. You could also try changing the VLOOKUP from an exact match to an approximate match (by adding "true" to the end of it, after the 2).

Let me know what the COUNTIF returns!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Iastate7653

I saw that Genevieve answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!