Project Management with Multiple Subprojects

Amber Lange
Amber Lange ✭✭
edited 06/20/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello! I'm looking for recommendations on the best (aka easiest) way to create and manage subprojects within a project. Our current systems are set up to have 1 project number, 2XXXXX, with several subproject numbers, 3XXXXXX, depending on how many phases and shipments of the job there are. The subproject numbers are important because that's how operations tracks time and dollars, but everything is rolled up into a main project number. From there, everything rolls up into a sales order number. We are currently using one of the templates with a Project Intake Form capturing much of the data but since a project can have multiple subprojects, I didn't know if there was a better way to enter this than in individual fields/columns.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Amber Lange

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored having the sub-projects as part of the main project sheet but separated in sections, or do you need them to be in separate sheets?

If you need separate sheets and they don't have to be on individual rows in the Intake, I'd recommend adding multiple sheets as part of the Templatised Structure.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå - I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "Templatised Structure". Can you elaborate?

Also, what we started to do was collect data in one cell but as you can see in the image below, some projects have many subprojects. By doing this, I think I need to use the HAS formula in the second image in order to find the remaining project data but can't figure out the correct format. These are separate sheets.