Auto sort rows in sheet

It would be of great help if you can switch on an auto sort of rows based on a column of your choice.

Then when users gets notifications via email, the content can already be sorted in the order you wish.

Tags:
18 votes

On Roadmap · Last Updated

Comments

• Jake Gustafson
    Jake Gustafson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This would be very helpful, especially when there are multi-row sorts to do when new data is entered. I'd love to see this as an automation similar to the Move/Copy Rows. Sort Rows based on a trigger.

• This has clearly been submitted multiple times before over the past two+ years based on the community discussions, but here's what we need:

• In grid view, set up a rule to autosort every time the sheet is loaded.

Use case:

My team needs to sort all of our projects into buckets that show all the projects for each business unit grouped together. I set up a hidden column called "Sort by BU" and created mock "header" rows in grid view since headers are also not supported in Smartsheet (another feature you need).

I unhid that column for this screenshot:

By labeling the "header" rows in the hidden column "A, B, C," etc., and sorting first by the BU column and then by the "Sort by BU" column, I am able to keep the "headers" at the top of each BU section.

In this screenshot, this is just a small mocked up sheet. We will have hundreds of projects in here and I really need them to sort properly every time without someone having to reapply the sort every time we open the sheet in case a new project has been added. There is a large risk that the sort will be applied incorrectly or forgotten otherwise.

• We solved this problem with the api. We run a single line curl command every hour

curl --silent "https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/sheets/$Sheet_ID/sort" -H "Authorization: Bearer $token" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X POST -d '{"sortCriteria": [{"columnId": $Column_ID, "direction": "ASCENDING"}]}

/marc

• We love this idea! The ability to configure your sheet to automatically sort is part of our long-term roadmap. We'd like to learn more about your specific requirements. If you'd be willing to chat, it would help us understand how this feature will work the best for you. Please schedule time at https://bit.ly/3Jbcfos.

• I second this idea and think it would also be useful to be able to sort our columns in Card view.