Pre-Filled Comment Section in Approval Workflow Process

Ashley Greene
Ashley Greene ✭✭
edited 06/22/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi - I've created a workflow based on the 'alert someone when specified criteria are met' template. This workflow requires several different approvals with required specific approval language. Is there a way to pre-fill the approval language if the workflow is approved? Meaning, they hit the approve button, language is pre-filled, so all the approver has to do is enter the date/time manually?

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Ashley

It is possible, using a built-in automated workflow "Change A Cell Value". If you are unfamiliar with workflows, it should be straight-forward to build. In addition, if desired, you could also use another workflow "Record Date" to insert the date when the approval happened. It's not a timestamp, just a date stamp. Then your users would only have to hit the approval button.

Would this work for you?

Kelly

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ashley Greene

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Kelly's excellent advice/answer.

To record the time.

Please have a look at my post below with a method I developed.

More info: 

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi, thank you for the quick response. So the cell value is marked as approved once the approver hits the call to action button link within in cell. Probably confused about the question, let's try again.

The approver is sent a unique link and is able to see what rows are being approved along with looking at attachments. The approver is able to leave a comment and then either click approves or deny. Our company is requiring us to add additional information other than approved. For example: Approved. Name of Approver, email address, employee id number, title, etc.

Instead of entering all the multiple requirements, could I prefill this in the workflow or by creating a logic so all the the approver has to do is enter the date, time?