How to use Smartsheet's legacy resource management function to highlight conflicts and auto change

SteCoxy
SteCoxy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 07/18/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello, apologies in advance if this appears to be a rather basic enquiry, however, I'm not familiar with Smartsheet's legacy resource mangagement tool.

I've had an enquiry from a colleague who has a Gantt chart sheet showing his team's tasks (as below). He's wanting the sheet to be able to add holidays for people and for the system to either highlight conflicts or change dates or both.  

An example is, Kim Cassels will be on holiday Friday 22 July and 1-5 Aug. How can he get it to show how it impacts his plan? He's hoping that the sheet will highlight conflicts and/or to auto change the dates accordingly based upon stretched resource.

I've checked and he does have the resource viewer setting ticked in the System Admin settings.

Any advice/pointers you can offer would be much appreciated

Answers

• SteCoxy
    SteCoxy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

One thing I noticed when my colleague shared his sheet was that there didn't appear to be the dependencies/project settings appearing in the top right corner, however, the critical path icon was. I'm not sure if this might have a bearing on things?

• Hi @SteCoxy

In Legacy Resource Management, if you assign that resource (e.g. Kim) to a row for the holiday duration as 100%, then this should make a red icon in the shape of a person appear to the left of any rows that make that resource over-allocated (indicating they're scheduled to work during a time where they're on holiday).

Here's the documentation with some screen captures that include this red icon:Track and allocate resources 

This won't automatically change anything for you, but it will make it easy to visually identify if a resource is over allocated across sheets/projects.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• SteCoxy
    SteCoxy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Genevieve - much appreciated :-)