Driver's License Barcode Scanning

ThePinkBird
ThePinkBird ✭✭
edited 07/18/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hey all!

I recently discovered the barcode scanning feature and am trying to implement it in my store. We do test rides for customers interested in buying, and we need a means of tracking who is on which while they're out. Company policy won't let us hold an ID or credit card, so we currently take names and match them to the waivers the customers sign. I would like to be able to scan the barcode on a driver's license so we can autofill their info. The barcodes can successfully scan, but it inputs a number string. I'm not sure if it'll be possible with SmartSheet, or on most anything, as I'm assuming it has to be hooked up to a DMV database of some kind, but thought I would ask.

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness Overachievers
    Answer ✓

Hello @ThePinkBird

You are correct, what you are looking to do would require a connection to the DMV.

Thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ThePinkBird

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Take a picture of the drivers license (could possible extract the information automatically as well with a 3rd-party service)

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hey all!

Thank you for the replies; I appreciate it!

Unfortunately we won't be able to take pictures of their licenses. This restriction is mostly practical; it slows us down too much. Fortunately, we have their personal details on the waivers they have to sign before riding. I was really just hoping we could scan the barcode to hasten the process. No worries though, the current process is fast enough.

Thanks again!

• marc4
    marc4 ✭✭✭✭

The barcode on the back of licenses contains more than names. You can get barcode scanners that will decode the image and have "keyboard wedges" that act as if you typed in the data from the scan.

You would tap on the cell that you want the data in, then scan the license. The data from the scanner would appear in the cell.

/marc