Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Please let Smartsheet work with time

Options

Comments

• Amanda Thacker
    Options

Hello, I would be useful if there was a time format option to enter cell data, this would allow us to calculate staff hours using start and finish times. Many thanks.

• Stewart Winter
    Options

It would be incredibly valuable to add a date/time column (or an independent time column). Currently there is a significant limitation that I cannot track downtime/uptime on equipment down to the hour/minute without manually calculating.

• celtics345
    Options

It has been suggested many times before, but integrating time (no more than hourly / half-hourly) is imperative for many companies to function. My company (a large-scale media enterprise) is looking to ween itself off of ScheduAll and I'd like to propose Smartsheet as an alternative. However, since it does not allow for hour-by-hour editing or viewing, that likely won't be a feasible avenue.

• Aldrin Sarsaba
    Aldrin Sarsaba ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I love to calculate the Cycle Time and or Lead Time for all the activities which I converted as my OKR/KPI. However, I can only calculate each item using days but not the time, I would propose to add the date and time on the sheets.

Appreciate your feedback

• Jakub Lenczowski
    Jakub Lenczowski ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would like to have possibility to make time calculations. Lack of this possibility caused that I cannot use Smartsheet as a tool i.e. on production floor to measure people's performance.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jakub Lenczowski If time calcs are the only reason for not using Smartsheet, you can use various solutions linked in on of my above comments while Smartsheet works on getting this implemented.

• jappleii
    Options

I add my request for this - as well - for Time and Timezone capabilities (esp the ability to allow a user to see what date/time a task would fall on in their timezone!). This is the one feature that makes it difficult (or impossible) to use SmartSheet for our use cases. At this point, we'll have to go back to Google Spreadsheets and individual columns for each user until the ability to work with time and set timezones for various items.

Why is this is a critical need for us?

• We schedule events and projects across multiple Geographies.
    • We need to have setup and teardown precisely coordinated between individuals in different regions.
    • We need to ensure that any user who has to cover for that individual (might be in a different country) also knows precisely when that task is due in their timezone).
    • Missing timezones and building our widgets too early or too late either adds significant, wasted cost to our work, or it causes our customers/users to not have the resources necessary

I note that Start and Finish each have a type of "Date/Time" - so the timezone information must be encoded in the sheet for Time to exist here. However, I can create no column called "Time", "Date/Time", or "Timezone" nor any equivalent variable for such an operation.

Add to this that the Smartsheet FAQ states that the last editor of a sheet changes the sheet's source timezone to their's - this is problematic with PM's across different geographies are concurrently updating a plan and it alters everything about an event or project that requires cross-TZ-coordination.

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The users have been asking for this for years. Fingers crossed it gets announced at Engage 2023?

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• jappleii
    Options

@Paul Newcome that looks like it's a start on the fix of the issue, then - thank you for the link. But it's still not implemented on a per-task basis that can be used for scheduling tasks in the Gantt chart.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 09/25/23
    Options

Hi all,

Thank you for your continued input and discussion on this thread; every use-case and scenario is helpful to provide context into the type of time-based solutions you need.

As an update for now and as Paul noted, there is a new TIME function that you can use in formulas! Here's the documentation:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• jappleii
    Options

Hi, @Genevieve P. ,

Is there any way to use this function to show date/time in the viewer's timezone based on a field which we hard-code both?

The final entry in the linked page is close, but I don't believe it can handle any kind of dependency linking.

Kind Regards,

John

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @jappleii

Can you provide more details for what you're looking to do? The Time Function can reference one Text/Number time cell and add hours on to that time to display a different timezone in another column, if that's what you're looking for?

Keep in mind the System Date columns (Created and Modified) will display time based on the user's timezone set in their Personal Settings, if that helps.