Get Started

Please let Smartsheet work with time

Options
13»

Comments

• kjones3
    kjones3 ✭✭
    Options

I agree with these posts - Smartsheet is already calculating time in hours for duration - seems to me that would be the tough part of coding! Now you just need to display it. I would vote for formatting the Date columns to include hours and minutes so that you can see the time a task is scheduled to start and end.

• SteCoxy
    SteCoxy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the ability to track time/duration in a HH:MM:SS format would be so handy for a lot of media organisations for things like slate management, production management, scheduling etc.

• Gavin Seaton
    Gavin Seaton ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another vote for a Time Column - Would take Smartsheet to the next level. Timesheets, Sign in / Out registers etc.

• jappleii
    Options

@Genevieve P. I apologize, I had a new member enter my family and lost track of everything.

So, this seems to link to the documentation that the SmartSheets system currently seems to save the timesheet's timezone as whatever user last saved the sheet (which is what I found in the SmartSheet documentation). So, let me give you a very realistic hypothetical for my team:

----------------------

We have an event in Vietnam in 2 months, for which we're planning to run backend setup and operations. Our PM's are in Australia, Egypt, and Texas and all 3 are working to coordinate this project with support teams in each region.

For 4 timeslots each day, we will be running 4 rooms of labs per timeslot, for each day. This equals 16 separate setup, run, teardown tasks per day. Our operations teams are in Australia, India, Austria, Portugal, Iowa, and Utah - round the clock, and each team has work to do, and sometimes they need to cover for one another.

In our planning, we have setup, run, and teardown tasks that will be planned according to Vietnam's timezone due to the event, but each PM is coordinating a separate stream of work that applies to when setup needs to run for each room and the organizer/speaker in that room, and assigning it to the operation team that has that task land during their business-day, and how early thethe speaker/organizer(s) need to run through prep on their environment(s) based on what they are doing, and that work needs to be coordinated across.

Onsite at the event we will have a single coordinator PM who will then make sure the tasks that need execution are executed on that specific time and will be running early/late calls with each operations team to ensure setup/teardown are completed on-time according to the needs.

So, that's the use-case.

----------------------

What do I need in order to realistically use SmartSheets for this?

1. I need to be able to force a Gantt chart to always use the Timezone of the event for the specifc calculations of time - else the teams in each timezone will not know when their task begins and ends - and we need somewhere we can see that to confirm that all tasks are in Event-localtime, and are thus showing up correctly for the Ops teams in their local time.
    2. I need to be able to make sure each Operations team in our FTS setup can see what time each task occurs in their specific timezone as well as localtime.
    3. I then need to be able to provide the full Critical path to the event team for the site to ensure that they also know what we need, when, and where, in order to make the event successful.

At this point in time, I can't use Smartsheet for that, so we're back to Google Spreadsheets again.

Does this help explain what I'm requesting?

• Joe Goetschel
    Joe Goetschel ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jappleii The user's location is easy since that is tied to their personal settings and picking the correct Time zone. This will adjust all system times for that user (Last modified and created dates and times)

As for documenting additional time in a cell, you can do this with Bridge. I had a solution where we needed to capture the exact time due to SLA agreements for response times etc. Basically Location 1 = Time zone 1 and Location 2 = Time zone 2 and so on.

Here is some info on bridge https://www.smartsheet.com/platform/bridge Hope this helps! Let me know if you would like to get on a call to discuss more.