Request an approval (Short-Circuit existing tasks once one approver completes)

Options

Hi all,

I have a scenario where I need to send a 'Request an Approval' automation to a group of people. However, I only need one person to complete the approval for it to finish the approval. Right now, it appears that Smartsheet defaults sending a task to each person listed under 'Send to specific people'. So either everyone completes the approval task (which is overkill), or I end up as the owner cancelling a bunch of 'orphaned' tasks.

On the screenshot attached, I need only one of the Test users (A, B, or C) to complete the task and have smartsheets short-circuit (i.e., cancel or complete) tasks that have been sent out to other people. Is there a way to do this?

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Mikecol

I hope you're well and safe!

Here are some options.

• Add multiple columns (one for each approver)
    • Same as above, but you could add Workflows to update the Approval of others when one answers.
    • Combined with the above, you could send alerts to the others that it's already approved.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.