What happens when a trigger is linked to two automations?

I have two automations.

1) One automation is triggered when "Dropdown" changes to any value. When the automation is triggered the effect is different depending on the conditions in the automation. If "Checkbox" is checked then certain cell changes happen, if it is NOT checked, different cell changes happen.

2) The second automation is triggered when "Checkbox" changes to Checked.

Sometimes a user will change "Dropdown" and will check "Checkbox" at the same time. Sometimes only "Dropdown" will change but "Checkbox" will stay unchecked.

If both "Dropdown" is changed and "Checkbox" is checked at the same time, I assume both automations will be triggered. What will happen in this situation? I really need different things to happen depending on the condition paths and am not sure how to do this.

Tags:

Answers

• MedaUser
    MedaUser ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Joanna Bulkley,

Your automations might be contradicting each other at times or getting confused on which one to prioritize and errors out. Is there a way for you to automate your Checkbox column with a column formula to trigger other changes? If not, context to the specific triggers/conditions might be helpful to better troubleshoot with you.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Joanna Bulkley

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to MedaUser's excellent advice/answer.

Should the automation always trigger in the same order, so Workflow 2 should never trigger before Workflow 1?

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Change the trigger to be time-based instead

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.