Updating an Attachment without Re-upload?

Options

Is it possible to update an attached Excel file in Smartsheet and have the changes be saved without re-uploading? Or, can an attached file be linked to automatically update when the source is changed (whole sheet, not just linked cells)?

Overview:

We have an overall project tracker sheet in Smartsheet. One of the tasks is to purchase all necessary parts whose status is tracked within a separate excel file to prevent cluttering the project tracker. Right now, the excel file has to be re-uploaded every time changes are made. Pulling in and linking cells from the excel file would not work in this situation and using a separate Smartsheet for the part status tracker is not the ideal method at this time (though trying to move that direction).

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!!

Answers

• MVP OPS
    MVP OPS ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

If the file is shared (available online) you could just attach the url or one drive link to the row, then all changes made available in the file without having to reattach.

best,

Brad

www.MVPOPS.com

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @BHodak

I agree with @MVP OPS suggestion: storing your separate file in an online resource would allow you to only attach this file once. Here's more information: Attach a File or Link From an Online Resource

If this isn't an option for you, it would be helpful to know more about your scenario and why this attachment has to be an excel file.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• BHodak
    Options

Thank you Brad and Genevieve for the suggestion!

I understand what you are saying but the PN tracker used is currently an excel file that is just shared by being in a shared folder. There is no significant reason it has to be an excel file outside of the fact that that is how the Purchasing team is comfortable using it and is weary to change. We are exploring different apps to put the part tracker in but I was mainly hoping there may be some functionality in Smartsheet that could help in the mean time.