Curiosity: Best practice use of symbols for health on projects

Hey all,

I'm curious as to how others are utilizing the symbols for project health when tracking health task-by-task in a project. If you are using RYGB or RYGG, how are you indicating future state tasks?

1. Gray or Blue is being used to indicate "Not Started" tasks or future state tasks
  2. Gray or Blue is being used to indicate "Completed" tasks

Regardless of your answer, I'll assume Green is being utilized for the opposite (i.e. Say yours is #1 above, then Green is utilized on past tasks)

Thanks,

Travis

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Really it is up to personal preference and what works best for you and your users and how you plan to leverage the data (why collect it if you aren't going to display it or use it somehow). I have seen them used many different ways.

You could use Gray as "Not Started" or "Not Due To Start" and then use RYG to determine "At Risk" and lock it in when the row is completed so that if it was completed behind schedule the row will always be "Red". This is my personal preference because I like to track/trend historical data.

If you are not worried about historical data then you can use Blue for complete and use the RYG to show the risk while it is "in progress". I have a number of clients that use this method and love it.

Or you could have some completely different idea on how you want it used, or your higher-ups could have a different preference (maybe they just don't like the color blue).

My suggestion would be to figure out who is going to use it and how and ask them if they have any preferences (or just build it and tell them that's the way it is whether they like it or not hahaha).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Really it is up to personal preference and what works best for you and your users and how you plan to leverage the data (why collect it if you aren't going to display it or use it somehow). I have seen them used many different ways.

You could use Gray as "Not Started" or "Not Due To Start" and then use RYG to determine "At Risk" and lock it in when the row is completed so that if it was completed behind schedule the row will always be "Red". This is my personal preference because I like to track/trend historical data.

If you are not worried about historical data then you can use Blue for complete and use the RYG to show the risk while it is "in progress". I have a number of clients that use this method and love it.

Or you could have some completely different idea on how you want it used, or your higher-ups could have a different preference (maybe they just don't like the color blue).

My suggestion would be to figure out who is going to use it and how and ask them if they have any preferences (or just build it and tell them that's the way it is whether they like it or not hahaha).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com