Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Filter columns

2»

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Instead of creating a filter, create a report and provide access to said report. If you have multiple "filters", you can create multiple reports, and quick links to the reports can be dropped onto a landing page type of dashboard.

• I would love this feature as well for ever selecting columns to hide and unhide

• CBT
    CBT ✭✭✭

Love this idea, can I have it yesterday?

• This could be wildly useful for me. I'm managing projects - each project has a sheet with dozens of columns/fields of data. Others that consume this data have a hard time finding what they need. If they could just run a filter to remove the rows AND columns that don't apply to them, it would be magical.

Thanks for working on this!

• To those recommending reports... yes, I use reports for many purposes - mostly for combining data from multiple sheets to be viewed on 1 screen. Very easy to select only certain columns to be visible. Works great.

What about when operating on an individual sheet? I will have several hundred sheets created per year - every one of my projects has its own sheet. Each sheet has lots of columns (50+). I currently have 13 filters to filter out the rows of data that aren't needed for a given function/purpose. That specific function may only require 5 of the 50+ columns.

To use reports to filter columns, I'd be writing multiple reports to only look at 1 sheet. It isn't realistic to setup multiple reports for each one of these sheets. Hundreds of sheets x 13 filters (that I currently use) = a LOT of reports to write (thousands of reports every year).

I start with a sheet template. It would be far easier to have my 13 filters filter and display only the columns I need for each filter's purpose, rather than sifting through 50 columns to find the 5 columns I need for a given function. Hopefully that helps clarify the need for this functionality.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to see if this is on the roadmap for future features?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Shawn_Durfee If you are using a sheet for a template, you can create the sheet and a set of the 13 reports and put them all into the same folder. Then you can "Save as new" on the folder itself, and it will make a copy of the sheet and all reports, and the new reports will automatically be linked to the new sheet.

• Tthe downside I see with reports is that you have to refresh the page after making changes to recalculate functions and aggregates. Trying to have my users make their updates in as little time as possible.

• JUST PJM
    JUST PJM ✭✭✭

Urgently required, especially in case of large sheets with ex. 50 columns. It's kind of annoying if you constantly need to hide show columns during project planning, just to make the grid more clearly to work with. My vote

• Can't agree the report option is the best solution, jumping around between files is not fun!

• JIDEATTURRA
    JIDEATTURRA ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Reports can be exhaustive if there is a mass of views required.. it would be most helpful to have better functionality on column management and filtering within sheets.