Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

splitting text into multiple rows

HUM Projects
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi there,

I am using smartsheet for text analysis and would like to split a cell into separate rows using a return or a full stop as the separator. Any ideas? 

Tags:

Comments

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Will Text Wrap work?

• You can press alt+enter and the cursor goes to the next row below in the same cell - Is that what you mean? 

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This will work too! (just like excel)

• Thanks but I've not explained myself well.

I have a cell (from a form input lets say) with text in it... The answer to a problem.  I want to give each of the key points in text their own row, so we can sort, count, add info to etc... Is there a formula that can do this for me?  Or do I need to cut and paste each sentence in the text into it's own cell, in the row(s) beneath.  In excel, this is called parsing, the opposite to CONCATENATE formula.  Hope that helps and any ideas would be great.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

HUM,

What you are describing is likely not possible without an automation tool like Zapier (www.zapier.com) or the API.

The first hurdle you must overcome is that if you are using a WebForm from Smartsheet, you only get the one row, not a set of rows, which is what you are after.

If the data is fixed (ie can be parsed, repeatedly and accurately), then each record is multiple rows, at least as you have defined it.

You could also look at adding COLUMNS to do the parsing. That could be done within the existing functionality of Smartsheet.

I'd need to see some data sets to offer more guidance but I hope that helps a bit.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.