When creating a Gantt View Schedule, has anyone figured out how to have a header and footer?

I am creating construction schedules using the Gantt view. I need the project information (Project Name, Address, Number of Floors/Phases) to show at the top of the page when I print my schedule.

I have figured out in the print screen I can type in that information and it will show on my printed schedule. However, when I share the schedule with my client (whom I have multiple schedules with) it does not show.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Tags:

Answers

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm... seems to work fine on my end. I have my print setup as shown below, and got the results shown below.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I misunderstood... are you able to get it to print correctly, but want this information to show up when "sharing" the sheet? How are you sharing it? (Publish, via dashboard, direct share)

Sorry for the large screenshots... need to figure out how to reduce the size.

• Tim,

Thank you, that is what I had found also. I don't think I explained it well in my question.

The biggest problem is when I share the schedule with my client and he prints it or views it on screen with his team.

If they do not have Smartsheet to print it and add the header information it no longer displays the needed info in the header. Nor, do I want them to have to alter the schedule to print it with that information.

Any other ideas?

• Tim,

I am direct sharing live access to the client. If you share direct access to the sheet with anyone else, your print settings do not hold. The person printing the sheet has to set their own print settings on every individual sheet you share to them. Which is unfortunately a problem for this client that does not have Smartsheet.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah... I see the issue. I have a secondary 'testing' account, and yes, when I open a sheet in that account, it does not keep the print formatting I set in the other. I also tried using the publish options, and it had the same effect.

I assume you are sharing because you want the client to be able to modify the sheet/schedule? Even though they don't have a paid smartsheet account, I assume they still need to log into smarthsheet to access your sheet? In which case, it should save their print settings... once they have made them. But not ideal to ask a client to go in and add info so it prints nice.

I don't have an elegant answer, since it seems like this 'header' information is unique to each user. My hack suggestion would be to do something like the following, and make it a template of each of your sheets. Add rows to the top of your sheet to include the information you want. You can format that text to be larger, color, etc. BUT, its not as elegant as being in a header. But it will print at least.

I don't know if you use Control Center (not required for this), but if you do, it could automate the header information. Cool thing about this is you could add some dynamic info using formulas... like showing the last modified date.

sheet snapshot

how it looks printed.

What is weird is that the formula for modified date works in the sheet, but doesn't print... will need to look into a little more.

Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Tim

• Tim,

Thanks for all your help trying to help me figure this out. It does seem to be a limit that Smartsheet has. Maybe I will suggest in their updates and request section that they add this capability.

Thanks again for all your help!!