Workflows > Actions: Request an update > Recipients: Contacts in 'contact in row'

AndyS
AndyS
edited 09/28/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I’m having an issue with a workflow being executed, but emails are not going out.

I first thought it was because our security was blocking emails, but that is not the case….did a sample to my personal email address (which is less stringent), but still no execution.

When I performed a test “request an update” on 13-15 people, it works fine, but when I expand to 300+, it does not.

3 quick questions:

1. Is there a way inside smartsheet that tracks if and workflow email has been sent beyond the indicator that a row has a “pending request”?

2. Is there a certain number of “request an update” email you can send out?

3. Any advice?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AndyS

I hope you're well and safe!

3 quick questions:

1. Is there a way inside smartsheet that tracks if and workflow email has been sent beyond the indicator that a row has a “pending request”? [Andrée Starå] Unfortunately, no, but you can see when it was last triggered in the Workflow section.

2. Is there a certain number of “request an update” email you can send out? [Andrée Starå] Yes, I'll get back to the post with the limits.

3. Any advice? [Andrée Starå] Ensure that you've checked the Sheet Change Notification Settings box to Include my changes in sheet notifications in your Personal Settings (circle/profile in the lower-left corner).

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@AndyS

I can't find the limits anymore, so I'm not sure if there are any.

Maybe it's changed to a Fair usage policy instead!

@Genevieve P. Do you know?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks for the feedback - and so quickly!

It appears that the notifications are defaulted to "include my changes"....so that's good.

Just deleted the workflow and tried again, and still the same results. It's kind of weird :)

I'll give it some time and see if a smaller subset would work.....only thing is it appears I can only auto-trigger things on the hour.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated....trying multiple things with multiple accounts to see if I can get it to execute properly.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 10/04/22

Thanks for the tag @Andrée Starå and my apologies for the delay @AndyS !

The current limit for automations is based on plan-type:

However it sounds like your issue may be different, as I believe the limit has to do with Triggers and not emails sent from the action block of the Workflow.

Can you check the Automation Permissions on your sheet to make sure that all the contacts you have listed in your Contact column will receive the Update Request?

If the Contacts aren't shared to the sheet, you'll need to make sure your permissions are set to either Limited or Unrestricted from the small gear icon in the Manage Workflows page. See: Control who is notified about alerts and requests

If this hasn't helped, it would be useful to see how your workflow is being set up (in case there are Condition blocks that are stopping the Action block from going out).

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now