How Can I Create a "Stamp" of An Original Value?

Hi -

I'm trying to create a rule/process whereby every time a row gets added (not changed), another cell gets "stamped" with the value. This is so I can have the stamped column as a reference of the Original value.

In my scenario, it's a Total. So a row will get added, and in that row is a Total Column. I want to create a copy of that value, and store it in another column ("Original Total"), and never have it change after it's original entry. That said, the Total column can/will change.

The other nuance is that I'm trying to update this based on a Master -> Child Sheet relationship, where the Master has the Total row, and the Child contains the Original Total. The Master Sheet gets wiped clean every Month, so there's always a "new" Original Total that needs to get re-populated in the Child Sheet - hopefully that makes sense. I've been trying to use DataMesh, and it works when the Original Total is blank (so the first run), but if the Original Total has a value in it from the previous run, it skips updating it, and that's where I run into my issue. I have the "old" Original Total value, and need to update it based on this new data load in the Master Sheet, but I don't know how to tell it - it's a brand new Total, update it, or it's a changed Total, don't update it.

Hopefully part of this makes sense - it's a difficult one to explain. Thank you for any / all help.

Mike

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mike Rini

I hope you're well and safe!

This might help!

Please have a look at my post below with a method I developed.

More info: 

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks @Andrée Starå. It definitely spurs a bunch of other thoughts which might make it possible, but I'm concerned it could turn into a maintenance issue down the road.

I was working through some other thoughts tonight, and was thinking - what if I just was able to clear the Cell Values based on a new row being added to the Master Sheet and using DataMesh? The Created Date will always be stamped only once, so I can use DataMesh to override the Created Date (empty date column) in the Child Sheets. If that date changes, then I setup a Automated Workflow to clear the cells I want to clear, based on that change.

The only thing I can't figure out is - can I prioritize which DataMesh sequences run first? It doesn't seem like - based on the timing of the sequences you define. I think it'll still work - worst case, it would catch the Stamping Updates in the second cycle (if the Automation clears it out).