Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Develop Mac ODBC driver for Tableau Desktop

Options

Hi,

I use a Mac and use Tableau Desktop to build workbooks that connect to Smartsheet data. Currently, I use Data Shuttle to offload the data to a Google Sheet. Then I connect Tableau Desktop to the Google Sheet. If there were a Mac ODBC driver for Tableau Desktop, I could connect to my smartsheet data sources directly from Tableau Desktop improving development workflow and reducing potential problems in the integration chain.

Thanks,

Marc

Comments

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Marc Shecter

The ODBC interface is built by Microsoft and so Smartsheet is not able to influence its ability to work with Mac devices. I would recommend providing your enhancement request to Microsoft on the ODBC documentation, here.

That said, Smartsheet has a Web Data Connector that you can leverage when connecting with Tableau. In Tableau, go through Connect > Web Data Connector. Then on the Web Data Connector window, select Use a Connector to find Smartsheet. If you cannot find it from this list, I believe the URL to input on the Web Data Connector page is https://tableau.smartsheet.com:443/tableau/

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Marc Shecter
    Marc Shecter ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Would you mind double-checking that the ODBC driver was built by Microsoft? They built the SDK, but companies, and I'd bet a donut, including Smartsheet have developed their own version of the ODBC driver using the SDK. The Smartsheet-specific ODBC driver is discussed on your site (here, here, and here), and the specifics further strongly suggests that Smartsheet developed it. If I'm right, then Smartsheet would be the party responsible for developing the Mac version of the Smartsheet-specific ODBC driver. If I'm wrong, you get a donut. :)

-------------

Regarding the WDC. I'm pleasantly aware of it and its functionality. I'm aiming high, for the ODBC connection so that I can have a live data connection with fewer headaches then the WDC gives me. Those issues with the WDC are a problem with my internal org, and not Smartsheet.

fyi @Mindy.cordova89921

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Marc Shecter

My apologies! You are correct; I misunderstood how this was built. Thank you for posting this as an Idea in the Product Feedback Category so that others can vote on this request as well.

I believe I owe you this: