Can I conditionally expose a form field based on an earlier entry?

Okay, first attempt at explaining what I want to do....

I have a sheet where I track items (rows) with a multitude of attributes (columns). It's fairly unwieldy so I wanted to provide Editors with a form to submit new items.

Current Form:

User enters Title and Description (text columns 1 and 2), selects the Category from a single-select drop-down (list column 1), and selects a Descriptive Type from a single-select drop-down (list column 2)

Not all of the types apply to every category so I wanted to apply conditional logic to the form:

Based on the Category Selection, I would like to present a partial list of Descriptive Types. If the user selects Category A, then I want to present a drop-down Descriptive Types 1, 2, and 3. If the user selects Category B, I want to present a drop-down with Descriptive Types 4, 5, and 6. (And so on)

Is that possible to do?

Alternatively could I display a unique column based on a selection in a previous column? (If a user selects Category A, then they see a drop-down for Category A descriptive types (unique column); if a user selects Category B, then they see a drop-down for Category B descriptive types (different unique column).....

Thanks in advance for any guidance, suggestions, or redirection.

Best Answers

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Ive built something like this in the past.

Essentially what I did was build a sperate drop down column for each category. Then I applied a multiple logic rules to the category field in the form, showing dropdown A when category A was selectected and showing dropdown B when category B was selectected etc. Then I built a summary 'Type' column that was formula based returning the value of the non-blank cell in the dropdown fields.

It works like this pretty well I think.

• ARD
    ARD
    Answer ✓

Success! Thanks very much.

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Answers

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Ive built something like this in the past.

Essentially what I did was build a sperate drop down column for each category. Then I applied a multiple logic rules to the category field in the form, showing dropdown A when category A was selectected and showing dropdown B when category B was selectected etc. Then I built a summary 'Type' column that was formula based returning the value of the non-blank cell in the dropdown fields.

It works like this pretty well I think.

• ARD
    ARD
    Answer ✓

Success! Thanks very much.

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓