Differences/advantages "Status" vs. "% Complete" columns

Hi!

Being quite new to Smarthseet with our organisation, I'd like to understand the advantages and disadvantages of using a "Status column" with Dropdown or Symbols vs. using the "% Complete" column to mark the progress of a task.

Many in our team prefer the more simplified status by just having "not started", "in progress" or "done" (or red, yellow, green symbols) over the % complete where you have to type the percentage.

But I'd like to be sure that we're not missing out on an important advantage of using the % complete column instead.

I'm aware that in % complete you can be more precise of how far a task is while it's in progress, e.g. just started with 10% or almost there with 90%.

And I also know that with % complete you can have a summary for the parent row.

But besides those 2 points, anything else that makes % complete better than the simplified column types? E.g. any advantage with conditional formatting or other more "advanced" functions in Smarthseet?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As you have already realized... Having the percentage is much more precise. Everything else (including parent row summaries) can be accomplished through formulas.

I personally prefer the precision of percentages as it allows me to get more accurate results when I am using RYGB for risk because then I can compare the actual percentage to the expected percentage and get a handle on if the task is at risk or not as opposed to just being "In Progress".

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com