Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Archiving Project in Control Center Should Also Remove Project from Portfolio WorkApps

Options

When you archive a project in control center, it does not remove the project from Portfolio WorkApps. This leads to confusion for project owners and others shared to the project when they still see their archived projects within WorkApps. The only way to remove a project from WorkApps is to delete the project from control center, which is not best practice. So you have to archive your project in control center, and then you have to delete the project from control center. Hopefully there is a fix for this coming.

20 votes

Available Now! · Last Updated

Archived Project WorkApps are no longer visible in the Portfolio WorkApps Project list pages when projects are archived!

Comments

• Kayla Q
    Kayla Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MCorbin
    MCorbin Overachievers Alumni
    Options

Oh my gosh - I just set up my Portfolio WorkApp blueprint last night and discovered this.... REALLY not happy to find out you reported this almost a year ago???? Ugh!

Thanks at least for the work-around. Going to delete projects from Control Center - but agree that it's not a best practice and I'm not happy about it. 😣🤬

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers
    Options

@Samuel Mueller @MCorbin Thank you for posting this info about Portfolio WorkApps! I'm working on a build for a customer now, and I'm debating whether to put much effort into the WorkApps portion, as it might cause them more grief than it's worth. They don't have a lot of bandwidth to maintain their solution.

We also hope to get Advance for ourselves soon, so this will help me get a head start on considering our own build. :)

A couple of questions I'm hoping you can provide some perspective on:

1. The help article states that there is a 50-sheet limit per portfolio. Does that mean you're limited to 50 assets per project, or are you limited to 50 sheets in the entire WorkApp? Surely not the latter, because most people are going to have more than 50 projects per blueprint at any given time.
    2. Have you run into any other gotchas with Portfolio WorkApps that you didn't anticipate?

Thanks!

Julie

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    edited 10/09/23
    Options

Hey @Julie Fortney. Couple things to know,

• commenting with the '@' does not bring up a matching list of colleagues, you would have to type out the entire email.
    • You cannot view cell history from a work app.
    • Another important thing to know is you can only have one portfolio admin, so if you need to change anything, only the admin can do so - the caveat on that is the project owner (if licensed) can change their WorkApp(s).
      • if someone leaves, the admin can't transfer the project, you have to call support
      • only the admin can do things like adjust roles, etc..
    • When you archive the project, the WorkApp is not removed

You are correct on number 1, 50 assets per project. We have a couple portfolio WorkApps in the hundreds of active projects.

I did talk to some product owners, and I do believe they are working to improve some of these shortcomings, but it will likely be months away.

• MCorbin
    MCorbin Overachievers Alumni
    Options

@Julie Fortney I read it as 50 assets per blueprint/project. But so far I haven't run into either limit - I'm still getting it up and running.

Not so much "Gotchas" as..."what a pain"

• Sharing is managed in 2 places - Blueprint and in your intake sheet. Be warned that in your Intake Sheet, you can only add up to 20 contacts in a contact cell.
    • Blueprints are maintained in 2 different places - in the Blueprint and within the WorkApp - so you need to know what is maintained where - and make sure you set up your rules for which pages are visible in which views (inside the WorkApp) before you provision projects.

I've been working on building my WorkApp blueprints since Engage - if you'd like to get on a call and talk through what I've done, I'm happy to do that.

• Samuel Mueller
    Options

@Julie Fortney I also want to add that despite the things mentioned above, Portfolio WorkApps is still super useful and recommended. It's been a great tool for us. Just hoping for some improvements

• Michelle Choate 2
    Michelle Choate 2 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This has been a frustrating thing I have been dealing with and a reason I have not put much time into a portfolio workapp for my company as of yet. I hate the double steps that are required and retaining projects is important to us so deleting is not a great option.

• Samuel Mueller
    Options

@Genevieve P. I'm pretty sure this idea is a reality now - not sure what you do with these after the fact.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Great catch! Yes, this update has been released - I've adjusted the status. 🙂

• Estelle Redding
    Estelle Redding ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes! Agreed! Definitely vote up for this request, please! If there were a way to grab a snapshot in time as well, just to show how it was set up (we customize each WorkApp) would be great, too. For our more complex projects, we take screenprints of each role and PDF them. To do this as part of the archival process would be great.