Form wit multiple entries in different rows keeping first fields information on the following rows

Options

Hi there,

I'm creating a form that can have multiple entries, but each entry goes in a different row. I created the Host Application form with the following:

• Facility Name
  • Assessor Name
  • Candidate Name

On the settings, I chose 'Send user to the link' > Then, I created the 'Candidates' List form', where only the Candidate Name appears. This creates an eternal loop where one facility can enter multiple candidates without needing to re-enter the Facility Name and Assessor Name again, ensuring each candidate comes in a different row in the sheet, exactly what I need for future purposes within Smartsheet:

• After someone submits a Host Application with the candidates' list, each candidate will need to submit a Candidate Application (another form in another sheet same workplace)
  • In a third sheet, I will have an automation to Complete the application process when the AEF# matches in both applications.

The problem I'm having is that when the new form is entered, the Facility Name and Assessor Name are NOT filled out in the row. When I created the 'Candidates' List', I duplicated it from the 'Host Application' one, then I hid the two first fields, I tried to write a formula on the 'Default Value' to copy the value on the cell above but:

• It doesn't work because the Default Value adds a ' at the beginning making it impossible for the formula to kick in
  • Even if the formula works, if person B starts filling out a Host Application while person A is filling out the Candidates' List one:
  • A Candidate entered by person A will copy information from person B, not A

See the test below for understanding the explanation above:

Can you please help me with these problems? Smartsheet would work amazingly for what I need if I can figure this part out, but I have been trying to resolve this for days now and I just can't...

Thank you in advance for your support.

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Options

Hi @Karina Fernandes ,

If my understanding is correct you'd like for each host to be able to easily submit multiple entries with different candidate information while avoiding the need to fill in their own information recurrently for each submission.

Have you considered creating URL queries for each Host? This would allow them to have their own version of the Form link where their information is pre-filled. Here you can find more information about this.

This option may require some work from you to create different URLs where each field is pre-filled for each host but once created this should facilitate the multiple entry creation with recurrent information and would prevent for the need to create a second Form.

If this is not entirely suitable, I found a similar feature request from another customer in the online Community here. If this post is in line with your request, you can show your support by signing in to the online Community and adding a Vote (the Community uses your Smartsheet account to sign in). Otherwise, you can create a new Idea post with your specific request. 

The top-voted posts are reviewed monthly by the Product team and you'll receive an email notification if a status changes for a post you've voted on or created.  

For other requests in the future, you can search through ideas and post new requests in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic.

I hope this can be of help.

Cheers!

Julio

• Karina Fernandes
    Options

Hi @Julio S. ,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Yes, I saw that option using URL queries. However, it's not totally suitable in my case as I have hundreds of assessors, that can be hosts and hosts that are not assessors. The same assessor can also test students in different facilities. Basically, each evaluation is unique and would require a new entry for the first fields of the form, but when entering students, would need to add as many as they want.

I had also found the links you mentioned, I will vote on them and hope Smartsheet decides to work on this feature.

Thank you again for your help.

Kind regards,

Karina.