Workaround for sending only one specific attachment in row update reports?

Josh Reed
Josh Reed ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Working on a complicated build for non SS savvy medical professionals. I want to create an automation to send an update request to contact in a specific cell (legal team) when a document needs legal review. The user will indicate that legal review is needed for this document (via dropdown) and that will trigger the automation.

The issue is that there could be up to 20+ attachments to a given row and the legal reviewer will have to find not only the correct document but also the most up to date version if the user fails to delete older versions or save over them. I had seen images of PDFs in cells somewhere and thought I could attach documents to individual cells but that is not the case. Also when setting up the update request you can elect either all or no attachments be included.

The only semi-satisfactory solution I've come up with so far is to have the user enter the name of the attachment needing review in a column labeled "document needing legal review" or something like that so they know which of the items to review in the potential slue of attachments. There is also sometimes confidentiality issues so it might not even be an option to send all attachments. Also at that point it could be easier for them to draft an email outside of smartsheet.

The users of this system are Doctors, and the administrative parts of their job are only a nuisance in their eyes, so my goal is to automate as much of the minutia as I can.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Josh

Answers