Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Retain dashboard widget colors after selecting new data

Chart widgets once you make  a new selection of ranges for the data on a ‘Chart’ widget, it will return to the original system color. The result may be sloppy, with two data series having the same color! Consider changing the behavior so that it doesn't default to the original scheme. Instead, it should retain the color selections I've made in the past and if needed, assign a new color to new data.

Tags:
8 votes

Available Now! · Last Updated

Good news! Your dashboard chart colors will now persist based on the color mapping you set when a chart is created or modified. Please note that colors need to be reselected and saved for the persistence to take effect for existing charts.

Comments

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/23/23

I have a few templates that include dashboards with charts and I'd like to have specific status' have specific colors. Right now I have to enter in fake data to have the colors stick but this causes confusion when people use the templates and don't update the statuses from the fake data. It would be VERY useful to be able to set default colors for a template or even a workspace (even one that would look at if the data matches this text then this color should be used).

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. How can I save the colors for items that are not set in the series? Can I somehow enter in an item so that if/when it appears it will be a specific color? For example tasks by status; if it's not started have this color and in progress have this color, etc. I don't see an option to do that in the template we have. Thanks.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 04/06/23

Hi @Sarah123

Can you clarify what chart type you're using?

If you're using a Pie Chart and the values are 0 they won't show up to assign a colour.

However you could switch the chart type to be something else (e.g. a Bar Chart) and assign a colour.

Then change it back to a Pie Chart and Save the Dashboard.

This should then bring up the correct colour for future data!

Let me know if that makes sense and works for you.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Genevieve! We're using a donut chart and don't have the data entered until a status is changed for a task. Unfortunately, I tested this by doing the workaround in the project template and it didn't keep the colors I had setup when a new project was created using control center. It still selected colors on it's own. Is it possible to reopen this issue so that we can setup templates for specific colors for items? Thank you.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Sarah123

The initial release was rolled back to fix a few elements before making it live again - the status on this thread has been updated to "Coming Soon" and when this is fixed it will be changed to "Available Now".

• Genevieve P.

Hey @Sarah123,

This release is now available again! Please test it out and let us know if you have any further feedback.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Josh Reed
    Josh Reed ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice I'll be looking into this. I have various dashboards with tons of metric calculations... often many datapoints temporarily fall to 0 on my pie/donuts and then come back as whatever color it wants. I wonder if this fix would work... just set everything up as a bar chart first and save, then convert to pie.