Hierrarchy in web forms

kthhrrsn
kthhrrsn
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have data broken out by region (AMER, EMEA, & APAC), and there is budget information contained in each row.  The region is a parent and the corresponding rows are children.  This allows me to get a regional budget summary.

Is there a way to maintain this hierarchy (parent/child relationship) when rows are created using web forms?  Currently, when a form is used to submit data, although the region is selected on the form, the row doesn't come is as a child row.

If this doesn't exist, I think it would be a great enhancement.  I'm curious to hear how others have solved this problem.  I don't want to have to edit each row that comes in from the form manually.

Thanks!

Keith

Comments

• Hi Keith,

There currently isn't a way to automatically add new row entries underneath the appropriate parent row. When you have a moment, please submit an enhancement request using the Product Enhancement Request form under Quick links on the right of the community site and let our Product team know how you'd like to see this type of feature work in Smartsheet.

From personal experience, I manage help center documentation projects in Smartsheet.

I've changed the form options to have all entries submitted via form enter the top of the sheet. I manually cut and paste the rows, and indent them as needed to the appropriate child row.

I know other people have solved this problem by using our API to automatically do this for them. If you have development resources available to you, you may be able to develop something that automates this process: https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/

• This feature would be excellent, what smartsheet should be aiming at is to minimise the exposure of the end user to the underlying sheets and have forms, reports expose the functionality. I am finding I have to give end users direct access to a sheet so they can add new rows, or update a row to initiate a work flow. If a form could do this then automation scripts will do the rest of the work.

Grouping capability would be a great enhancement.

I have put enhancement requests in before and there is no feedback so it seems like a bit of a black hole

Ken

• Debbie J
    Debbie J ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be a great feature to have.

I track billing under PO’s and want to make it multi user but I have many formulas that feed to other reports and metrics. When other people enter on the sheet they usually enter info where a formula should. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ken & Debbie,

Smartsheet mentioned functionality that is coming for moving rows and more and that might help. We'll have to wait and see how it will work.

I hope this helps you!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• It would be great if we could create a child row through a form. Any idea if this is close?