Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automatically Sort Data

Options

Hi,

Our team works with a spreadsheet which currently is updated quite often / simultaneously by several users.

We have been facing difficulties whenever new information is added, since sorting is not properly adjusted until we manually select sorting, refresh and save the data.

Is there a way to automatically sort information for a given column whenever new rows are included?

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you considered creating a report? Reports will let you gather all the data that exists in a sheet and sort it based on your desires. The content is still editable and flows back to the main sheet, but doesn't require the main sheet to be manually sorted each time. The main sheets in Smartsheets do not automatically sort data. 

Here is some more info on creating reports: 

• Jason Anderson
    Options

I second the report idea. Currently, there is no function to allow a SmartSheet to auto sort data. It's a feature that I've seen requested several times. However, you can have report/views of the data that are sorted. It's a bit of a workaround but you can have your 'raw' smartsheet and then think of the reports as your 'views'. 

One example I've used on dashboards is having a report that returns rows of tasks assigned to 'current user' and is then sorted by priority. By making this one report anyone on the team that views it, directly or as part of a dashboard, will see a sorted list of ONLY tasks they have assigned to them. That way I don't have to make a report for each person. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Me too on Reports.

In addition, when the Sheet MUST be sorted (or ordered in a hierarchy) with new data coming in only from a Form, I have used a Zapier (www.zapier.com) to handle this. 

Craig

• James Sutton
    Options

I can see that Automatically Sorting might have unintentional consequences, however, one thing that would very helpful to me is to "remember"  the last sort.

I sort my sheets frequently delivery dates on items change (due to changes on predecessors) and so that means I'm re-sorting my sheets many time a day.

Having to select the same 3 columns every time seems a waste of time.  I'm okay with manually triggering the sort, it just would be so much faster if I didn't have to specify the columns and direction every single time.

Regards,

James.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It would be great if filters could remember sort order like Google Sheets or like a report. 

• jkb
    Options

I can't believe this hasn't been done after 3 years of consistent requests! I love smartsheet but honestly this is the biggest drawback. Can't afford to pay an extra 600 dollars for reports for my small business, just for the sorting ability.

• mrusso71651
    Options

Hi everyone. I have a Formstack form integrated to my smartsheet. The sheet will be on our website and read only. When data is pushed to the sheet, I'd like to have the sheet automatically sort 1 column (alphabetically). I'm not familiar with Reports as was suggested here but at first glance it doesn't seem to offer read only. Any help? Thanks 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to automatically sort a sheet, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

I'd recommend using a report instead if that works for your use case because a report can automatically sort the information and keep it sorted.

The report will be "Read Only - Full" and it will be possible to download attachments and view row comments.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello mrusso, 

You are able to publish the report as read-only and embed it on your site. Check out this article on publishing Sheets, Reports, etc.

Publishing Smartsheet items: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522078-publishing-smartsheet-items

Publishing Reports: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522078-publishing-smartsheet-items#publishreports

Once you create the report that automatically sorts on the criteria you choose, you can publish the report and share it out in multiple ways. 

• Zorz Studios
    Options

When I thought I found a perfect solution, this discovery comes. I almost accepted the inability to sort by dues date in the card view, hoping for the "smart" sheet to do it automatically in the grid and now this.

I don't want to manually resort/refresh every time I add a row several times per day. Worse, I work on filtered sheets (to hide the completed tasks) so I also need to unfilter it before sorting, sort, then filter again. This is hardly practical for anyone.

I considered and tried a report but expectedly, it's view-only so I cannot edit it. Now I have two screens to toggle between - a report to view, a spreadsheet to edit it, and then back to report to see it updated? I'm sorry, it's ridiculous for a busy manager... There are smarter solutions there. I know those may not offer features that SmartSheets does but they aren't as critical to me.

Disappointed... So much wanted to finally settle after trying a handful of services. On to the next project management tool.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Ed,

You should be able to edit the rows/cells in the report. Why is it view only?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As you've noticed, it's not possible at the moment to auto sort in the sheet, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Best,

Andrée

• Leann Gibson
    Leann Gibson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just submitted for this feature.

This discussion has been closed.