Help needed with averaging RYGB balls of children cells

Options

Hi, I wanted to know how I can average the RYGB balls of the children cells. Something on the lines of if there is even 1 red, then turn the parent red. If there are no reds and at least one yellow then turn the parent yellow. If there are no reds and yellows, and at least one green, turn the parent green. If all the balls are blue, turn the parent blue. Please help. Thanks!

Best Answer

• Naveen Srikakulam
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Connor. I have built a different formula using ur formula and it works great.

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") > 3, COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") > 2), "Red", IF(OR(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") > 0, COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") > 0), "Yellow", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue") = (COUNT(CHILDREN()) + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), ISBLANK(@cell))), "Blue", IF(OR(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") > 0, AND(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue") < (COUNT(CHILDREN()) + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), ISBLANK(@cell))), COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue") > 0)), "Green", "")))) 

Answers

• Connor Hartford
    Connor Hartford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Naveen,

I've done something similar but took a different approach to it. What I did was give a weight (or multiplier value) to each color. Then you count the colors, and multiply them by the weight. For me, if the weighted score is twice as much as the number of balls, I make it 'Red' and if it's 1.5 times as much as the number of balls I make it 'Yellow', anything less is 'Green'. See my formula below.

=IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") * 2 + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") * 3) >= (COUNT(CHILDREN()) * 2), "Red", IF((COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") * 2 + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") * 3) >= (COUNT(CHILDREN()) * 1.5), "Yellow", "Green"))

Connor Hartford

• Naveen Srikakulam
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Connor. I have built a different formula using ur formula and it works great.

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") > 3, COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") > 2), "Red", IF(OR(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") > 0, COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") > 0), "Yellow", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue") = (COUNT(CHILDREN()) + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), ISBLANK(@cell))), "Blue", IF(OR(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") > 0, AND(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue") < (COUNT(CHILDREN()) + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), ISBLANK(@cell))), COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Blue") > 0)), "Green", "")))) 

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!