Vlookup Contact List... Recognition after Save

I'm using a helper column with Vlookup to populate a email address from a contact list sheet based on the name of the person in an adjacent column. The contact is populated properly when the sheet first opens but then it's like it is not recognized after a couple seconds of being open and thus is not brought into a filter based on the "Current User". What's even weirder is after the Save button is pressed, the contact is populated properly. See below formula and attachments.

Also attempting to assign them to a hierarchy but I don't think that is the issue.

=IF(ISBLANK([GTN Responsibility]@row), VLOOKUP(PARENT([GTN Responsibility]@row), {VLookUp Sheet Range 1}, 2, false), VLOOKUP(([GTN Responsibility]@row), {VLookUp Sheet Range 1}, 2, false))

GTN Responsibility = Person's Name

VLookUp Sheet Range = Contact List

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/02/21

Hi @ThomasWh

Hope you are fine, try to use Index With Match instead of VLOOKUP

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Unfortunately, the same thing is happening. When the sheet is opened or refreshed, the contact list is recognized for 4 seconds and then becomes unrecognized. Only after I press the Save button does it become recognized again.

New formula with Index/Match:

=IF(ISBLANK([GTN Responsibility]@row), INDEX({VLookUp Sheet Range 3}, MATCH(PARENT([GTN Responsibility]@row), {VLookUp Sheet Range 4}, 0), 0), INDEX({VLookUp Sheet Range 3}, MATCH([GTN Responsibility]@row, {VLookUp Sheet Range 4}, 0), 0))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!