One Row - Multiple Actions with Different Owners

Is it possible to have one row, with multiple actions where the automation only goes to the appropriate action owner? For example, we do an intake of information (let's say IT issues) and with every IT issue there are actions identified and a corresponding action owner for each action. However, we don't want people to have to fill out a form for each action (only for each issue). Is there a way to do this so we can automate the update request to the action owner? I feel like there should be something but it isn't coming to mind.

Tags:

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jtl

Let me see if I understand the question correctly:

You list three Action Owners, do you want each of them to receive an update request for the IT Issue itself, or just their particular Action?

The users submitting the IT Issue should only submit one ticket, yes?

How is the Action column filled out? Manually or via an automation rule or formula?

How are Action Owners assigned? Manually or via an automation rule or formula?

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• jtl
    jtl ✭✭

@Jeff Reisman - thanks for your questions.

Each Action Owner should receive an update request for the particular action to which they are assigned. Please note that sometimes there will be 3 actions but only 2 action owners because one of the action owners could be assigned 2 because they are the proper SME.

Yes, the users who submit the IT issue should only submit one ticket/form.

The Action column is completed by the person who submits the ticket/form

The Action Owners are also designated by the person who submits the initial ticket/form.

Thanks for your questions. I welcome any thoughts you may have.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In that case, it's just a matter of setting the workflow automation correctly. This will work if the Action Owner column is a multi-select Contact column:

Each contact in the Action Owner column will receive an update request, and each person can work their own request.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• jtl
    jtl ✭✭

@Jeff Reisman - thank you so much for the time and effort you put into this response. I greatly appreciate it. While this is a way of approaching this, I'm hoping for a way to do so where the Action owner is getting an update request only for their action. I'm thinking I might go down a parent/child row path... I need to keep thinking. Thanks for your help.