How to import data from other sheets?

Mycelus
Mycelus ✭✭
edited 06/15/22 in Formulas and Functions

Hey all. So I am looking to set up 2 sheets for inventory tracking. The first sheet will be a 'database' of SKUs along with item manufacturer names, model numbers, SKUs etc.

I want to use that database sheet to feed my inventory tracking sheet. Ideally what I'd like to set up is:

Item Sheet: select SKU-001

Sheet references database for SKU-001, and fills in the Manufacturer, Item Name, Model #, Item Category, etc.

How would I go about achieving this?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would use an INDEX/MATCH for each of the different data points you want to pull in.

=INDEX({Range You Want To Pull}, MATCH(SKU@row, {SKU Column}, 0))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Mycelus
    Mycelus ✭✭

Newbie question, but how does it know to pull from a certain sheet?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When typing out your formula

=INDEX(

there should be a little helper box that pops up. In that box is a link to "Reference Another Sheet". Click on that link, select the appropriate sheet, select the appropriate range from the sheet (click on column header to select full column), optionally but highly suggested rename the range in the top left, then click on the blue button in the bottom right to "Insert Reference".

It should bring you back to the formula but should now look like this

=INDEX({Name Of Cross Sheet Reference}

From there you keep on typing out the formula creating any additional cross sheet references as needed in the same way.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!