Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Folder-level permissions

DonaldW
DonaldW âś­âś­âś­

I have a Workspace with folders for different teams. Is it possible to give access to certain folders and not the entire workspace?

Currently I am giving everyone viewing access to the Workspace and the editing access to specific sheets.

It would be nice to manage the access rights on folder level

498 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

We love this idea too! We're working through making workspaces and folders easy and intuitive to share. Stay tuned for updates in this area!

Comments

• dhall
    dhall âś­âś­âś­

Adding to my previous comment, we just had a situation where editor's cannot create or save as new in the workspace. But if we were to make them admin on their team's respective folders within the workspace, then they would be able to "Save as new" from the PMO template to only their teams folder.

• Almudena Caro
    Almudena Caro âś­âś­

We are experiencing the same issue. We work with suppliers that work on our projects. We need them to access the project plans and specific reports and be able to edit or even be admins without them accessing the entire workspace that contains internal reports and dashboards. These suppliers usually work with us on multiple projects at the same time, and not being able to share a specific folder within a workspace makes it very difficult for them to navigate and find the correct information.

• Dropman
    Dropman âś­âś­

I would like the ability to set permissions within folders contained inside a workspace. Right now, I have to create multiple workspaces for the same project to be able to control which users have access to certain sheets for the project.

Ideally, I would like to see a deny permission. Any user set to this permission for a sheet or folder in a workspace would not see this sheet or folder once inside the workspace. The deny permission should take priority over view, edit, and admin permissions. The deny permission should not be allowed to be set for the sheet or folder owner.

• M F
    M F âś­âś­

This is super important. We do have an Org-wide Workspace and team folders within. Seems that we can’t give staff admin or editor-can-share permission to their team folder only. When we set permissions, they automatically get them to the entire workspace, which is a problem.

What’s the solution, please?

• donnasands
    donnasands âś­âś­

I support the folder-level permission feature being a critical one. We leverage Smartsheet for client facing projects, and it is inefficient to have the external sheets in 1 workspace and the internal sheets in another.

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

You can do this with Control Center, and set sheet sharing based on different sheets or dashboards. For example, when I spin up a project, all sheets are available to internal team participants, but only the overview reports and dashboards are available to clients. These can be pre-configured, and people shared to sheets during the provisioning process.

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• Syed Muhafzal
    Syed Muhafzal âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

We can give access to sheet or workspace, we should have a function in giving access to users based on folders - so if I have 3 folders in a workspace and 20 sheets in each folder, and i only want to share Folder A to MR A, I should be able to only give access to users to only ONE folder. Currently I am giving access on individual sheets.

• Brian Wengerd
    Brian Wengerd âś­âś­

we use smart sheet to manage our tasks for the whole company, and have them all within one workspace. we have lots of files within each folder and it would save a lot of time and make it a lot easier if we could share a folder instead of each individual file inside the folder.