Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Change Cell Value workflow: Include symbols

Options

Use case: When a new project is created, we want the initial project health to be a green symbol. The Change Cell Value workflow does not include Symbol type columns, only text/number, single select drop downs, and checkbox columns. Can we include Symbol columns in this workflow as an enhancement?

21 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Audrey Howard
    Options

Hello,

What I'm hoping can be added as a function of smartsheet is adding symbols (specifically the progress bar, but the color dots could be another easy one to automate too) in automations. As of right now, the automations can have the result be changing a cell to a certain value, but Symbol columns are not a type that are allowed to be automated. I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, since the symbols have names for each symbol already, and they can be input into a formula, so it should be simple to have an automation that goes along the lines of: 'when 'done' checkbox is checked> change a cell 'Progress'> change to 'full' when triggered.

Thank you!

• Jason H
    Jason H ✭✭✭
    edited 05/10/24
    Options

Hi Audrey,

I hopefully digested your ask properly and if so, this formula I use to change the Harvey ball symbols, might be an option for you. I wanted the Harvey ball symbols to change based on % complete column & the finish column.

Here is the formula

=IF([% Complete]20 = 1, "Green", IF(TODAY() - Finish20 > -1, "Red", IF(TODAY() - Finish20 > -3, "Yellow", "Blue")))

Here isa breakdown of the formula

• I wanted the Harvey ball symbols to change based on % complete column & the finish column.
    • If % complete is 100%, green // IF([% Complete]20 = 1, "Green" //
    • If today is 3 days from actual finish, and not 100%, yellow //IF(TODAY() - Finish20 > -3, "Yellow"//
    • If today is after actual finish, and not 100%, red // IF(TODAY() - Finish20 > -1, "Red" //
    • If parameters above are met then, blue (good to go) // "Blue" //

I hope this helps!

• Krystal Garcia
    Krystal Garcia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes this is a great idea!

• Michelle Choate 2
    Michelle Choate 2 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mark H
    Mark H ✭✭
    Options

Missing this capability seems like an oversight when automation to set a cell value was implemented. Please add the ability to set a Symbol value in workflow automation.

The workflow I'd like to implement is exactly as @Frank Falco described in his post Change Cell Value Automation - flag or symbols in 2021. Specifically, I would like to have two fields -- Health and Status. Health is a symbol value (e.g., red/yellow/green/blue circle) and Status is a dropdown text value (e.g., To Do, In Progress, Done). I would like to manually set Health and Status values and define an automated workflow to set the Health value to blue when Status changes to Done. This automation is currently not possible.

• Melaniejmorrison
    Melaniejmorrison ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Allow Workflow Automations for Symbols 

• Neal Armstrong
    Options

Our team uses symbols to track the review process of form submissions. I would love an automated workflow to set progress bars and Harvey Balls at zero when the row is created.

• Sean Mc
    Options

Just gave up trying to work aorund this here: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/comment/422462

Please add!

• MiaEg
    MiaEg ✭✭
    Options

+1 for this idea!

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Options

This is a no brainer, hopefully this gets implemented. 😃 Great suggestion.