AVG error message (with formula issues as well)

I'm trying to calculate the average score (1 to 5) of a column, but keep getting the DIVIDE BY ZERO message.

The column with the scores is calculated via a formula from a column formatted with stars (from a survey form). So four stars from the survey = 4. But I noticed that all the results have a ' in front of them (e.g. '4, '5). So I'm assuming this is why I'm getting the DIVIDE BY ZERO message - they aren't being recognized by numbers.

Why is this happening? How do I get just the number without the '?

FYI here's the formula: =IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "⭐️", "1", IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "⭐️⭐️", "2", IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "⭐️⭐️⭐️", "3", IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️", "4", IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️", "5")))))

Tags:

Best Answer

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/31/24 Answer ✓

@amy_ilearning

Remove the "" from around your numbers. It's not needed. What that is doing is making it a text value. Instead you want.

=IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "One", 1, IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "Two", 2, IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "Three", 3, IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "Four", 4, IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "Five", 5)))))

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/31/24 Answer ✓

@amy_ilearning

Remove the "" from around your numbers. It's not needed. What that is doing is making it a text value. Instead you want.

=IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "One", 1, IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "Two", 2, IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "Three", 3, IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "Four", 4, IF([Overall satisfaction with the session]@row = "Five", 5)))))

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• That's it! Thank you so much!!

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!